Any idea what type of connector this is?

Here’s a couple of pictures. It’s the back connector of a Pioneer car cd audio system’s front panel. Got it for a dollar.

I’ve got a repair manual (13MB too large to attach). I think I’m done finding pin outs. I’m interested in trying to interface with it. There are only two pins that are useful, a display data and a key board data. I guess they are serial connections but I can’t attach a wire to this connector to test it out. Can you identify what it is? 20 pins total and around 2mm pitch with top and bottom rows shifted 1mm.

It sort of looks like an OBD-II port for car diagnostics. Although I'm not 100% sure!

Sparkfun just came out with a product so you can interface wit something like that. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10769

just remember, I could be wrong.

funkyguy4000: It sort of looks like an OBD-II port for car diagnostics. Although I'm not 100% sure!

Wouldn't surprise me at all. CANbus would be one way of implementing things such as audio controls on the steering wheel.

Yea I mean I think thats what that is although I don't want to say for sure and then have him go buy something and have it turn out to be something else, although it would make sense since the board is from a car stereo system

Well it's not. Do you see pins coming out of the connector? All contacts are flat. No pins. The top and bottom contacts are also staggered.

Perhaps the correct name is "proprietary." I doubt it is an off-the-shelf component.

liudr: I guess they are serial connections but I can't attach a wire to this connector to test it out.

Can't because you're not allowed or ____ ? Looks like the solder pads are available. Solder some stranded #28 to lead that out with.

liudr: Well it's not. Do you see pins coming out of the connector? All contacts are flat. No pins. The top and bottom contacts are also staggered.

Well, so much for reading carefully. Okay, that's the back of the removable faceplate, right? So it looks much the same as this one, by Kenwood: http://s3.amazonaws.com/kpsurplus_images/f08deba94f23b9df7996f1561973313f01396395.jpg

I admit I didn't try really really hard, but finding images of the backsides of a faceplate isn't easy, at least for Alpine and JVC. So, based on my sample of two, I won't say it's a std. part, but I'm thinking that's the case. Yeah, not much help. But at least I'm less confused now. :) I assume that any PDF owners manual for a car stereo will have some really helpful nomenclature like 'faceplace connector' which gets you absolutely nowhere in a web search.

justjed,

Thanks for the picture. That looks more like my connector, with some less pin counts. I do have the very long and detailed menu but the part number doesn't bring up anything on google except the Pioneer website, and the same document or alike. There's a whole bucket of these panels where I bought mine. Would be a waste to only harvest the rotary encoder and maybe a couple of connectors. I'll see if I can get a connector before I desolder the original one and attach wires to the pads. Will look messy. I looked at card edge connectors at digikey.com. That seems to be the generic name of this type of connectors but I am still looking for staggered rows.

Look at this male edge connector:

http://media.digikey.com/photos/Sullins%20Photos/EBC10MMBD.JPG

Pretty much like the one I have, eh? Just don't see any staggered ones. Like James said, it might just be a proprietary connector. I will look for alternative, surface mount other type of connectors to replace the original one so I have a pair of connectors to work with.

I have the same thing on a AIWA system, and on a Clarion system, its not THAT proprietary, though is it a standard issue electronics part??? I dunno

just solder some ribbon to it :P

I should probably drop by a car audio repair shop in town before I do the soldering. I wonder if they still exist.

I suspect that car audio repair these days is along the same lines as TV repair. Rare if you can find a shop that does much, except for plug in replacement modules, or change backlights. But it might be worth a trip, if there's someplace nearby.

I think 'card edge' will lead you down a lot of false paths. The ones I'm finding just quickly looking are for PC add-on cards, as for the PCI bus, or similar. The name makes sense for that, but not for that plug you're looking at. Of course, people misuse terminology all the time too. Using 'edgecard' in a search turns up lots of links for those Sullins parts. But adding 'staggered' gets links only for those that have staggered solder leads.

Well, I bet it is a 'standard' part in the audio business, or at least the car audio business, but just specialized enough to avoid being something commonly listed. After all, lots of solutions already exist for solving the same problem. In that sense, perhaps it is proprietary. Don't see the point myself.

Buckets of those, eh? Not with a usable LCD though? You mentioned a display pin. Don't suppose it's an optical rotary encoder.

I'll try my luck in the big town I live in, in the middle of a lot of quantum fluctuations (or nothing if you prefer layman's term) :grin: The LCD is just a panel with the intelligence entirely on the known Pioneer MCU. There is no way to take it off. All connectors (rows columns) are attached to the PCB. I don't know what type of encoder it is, maybe mechanical. Forgot to count its pins before I closed the back panel. There literally a bucket of these panels in that local surplus store. I wish to make one work so others may do it too. It's $1. You can't beat it with that price.