Any recomendations on starter projects?

I recently got an arduino UNO for christmas and i'm pretty happy about that, but looking through example projects on instructables, a lot of projects require reading circuit diagrams. Im in college for computer/electrical engineering so ill be a pro one day ;) I have a couple semesters of c/c++ under my belt, so code isnt the hard part for me,but i'm not going to take a circuits class until next fall and some diagrams seem to hard to decipher. Would anyone have any recommendations on projects that have well detailed pictures / easy to understand circuit diagrams? thanks!

/ anyone willing to help me figure out this project? http://www.arcfn.com/2010/11/improved-arduino-tv-b-gone.html In the picture, I feel like on the right side, pin 3 you need a 47 ohm resistor? then connect that to a middle pin of the transistor, and on the left pin of the transistor you connect that to a 10 ohm resistor? and then on to an array of IR LEDs.... sound right?

In the picture, I feel like on the right side, pin 3 you need a 47 ohm resistor? then connect that to a middle pin of the transistor, and on the left pin of the transistor you connect that to a 10 ohm resistor? and then on to an array of IR LEDs.... sound right?

The picture is drawn correctly. The lead with the arrow is called the emitter lead, the lead wired to the 47 ohm resistor is called the base lead, and the lead wiring to the 10 ohm resistor is called the collector lead. The arrow pointing out from the symbol means it's a NPN transistor (arrow in would be a PNP). Calling leads middle, left, and right is just not what even a future engineer would call them. ;D

There is a lead diagram lower on the page that relates E, B, and C to the physical package (but I didn't check it for accuracy), but be aware that different packaging types and even different manufactures can sometime change the lead order around. It's always best to refer to the datasheet for the specific device made by the specific manufacture to figure out pinning questions.

Good luck with your career choice, it's a great one.

Lefty