Arduino 0010 on Ubuntu window size-SOLVED!

Hi all,

Running Arduino 0010 on Ubuntu 7.10. When I start Arduino, it is in a small window. When I maximize the window, the editor area stays small although the window fills the screen.

I have looked at the preferences file (home/.arduino/preferences.txt) and made some changes but they don't seem to make any difference.

Not a big deal, but it would be nice to see more of the lines I am typing.

Thanks,

Mike

Hmm, strange. It worked in Ubuntu 6.06 (admittedly rather old). What version of Java are you using?

According to synaptic (the only way I know how to check) I am using:

sun-java5-jre 1.5.0-13ubuntu1

-and-

java-common 0.26ubuntu1

Mike

Hi,
if you want to know which version of java is running, open a console-window and type

java -version
This should print something like
java version "1.6.0_03"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_03-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.6.0_03-b05, mixed mode)

When I start Arduino, it is in a small window. When I maximize the window, the editor area stays small although the window fills the screen.

Does the editor area cover the full width of the window?
The height of the editor area and the compliler messages is resizable with a split-panel. Does it help to move the bar between the two areas?

Eberhard

The output is :

java version "1.5.0_13"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_13-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_13-b05, mixed mode, sharing)

The editor area only fills about 1/3 of the screen when the window is maximized. Sliding the split screen has no effect on the overall size of the editor area.

Mike

Do you have the same problem with Processing 125 (this is the one that Arduino is based on)? What about the latest Processing, 132? You can get them here: Download / Processing.org

D/L Processing and it does the exact same thing. When maximized, the programming area does not expand to fill the screen.

Mike

Hi All,

D/L the newest version of Automatix for Ubuntu 7.10 and installed Java from there. Problem solved!

Thanks for all of your input and suggestions.

Mike

I'm having a similar problem, but I can get the application to start and the maximize to work properly if I open a terminal and...

cd /usr/share/arduino-0010
./arduino

However, if I create a link to application on the desktop, the application starts and exhibits the same maximize problem as described earlier.

Next I created the following script:

#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/share/arduino-0010
./arduino

and saved it in /usr/bin

Now, using either a terminal or the run dialog, typing arduino runs the program but with the same maximize problem. Here's where the plot thickens...

I am using Beryl. So, I logged out and logging in to a normal (non-Beryl) desktop. Every method of starting arduino that I just described works and the maximize works perfectly in all cases. There is a known problem with Java swing applications and Beryl. I have the same problem with thinkorswim.

Any thoughts?