Arduino + dance dance revolution

Hi.

I am working on an installation now, where someone need to step on a circular platform to activate a signal. I am trying to find the most reliable way to build a sensor for it. I already programmed some push buttons, but the construction of the pression system is a bit complicated.

So i was wondering if i could use one of those dance dance revolution carpet? Is there anyone who tried it before? Would it be possible to dismount it and to connect the sensors to Arduino?

Any other solution for this kind of sensor?

Thank You

Mathieu

maybe look at the mats used in burgular alarm systems, or the conducting foam that chips are sometimes delivered in changes resistance as you squash it so you could rig some of this up to an analogue in and get a useable signal.

There is also some interesting stuff called qtc (quantum tunnelling compound) that maybe good for this if you can get it where you are.

HTH

Nick

Yes it sounds interesting, But i don't have much time to look for those kind of sensors, also i am in Thailand now so it's a bit difficult... Anyone would know a technique more simple?, us¡ng the same programation as a pushbuton?

hi

my students make a very cheap floor sensor all the time:

• cut two pieces of cardboard same size
  • put down parallel strips of copper tape on each side
  • solder wires to the copper tape
  • face the copper sides together, and separate them with foam strips, parallel with and between the copper ( takes some experimentation to find the best kind)
  • wrap the edges of the two pieces with masking tape.

There is a DIY article here.

D

Ok then try the mat if you already have one - should work fine. Where the wires come from the mat before they get to any electronics there will probably be one common wire that is connected to one side of all the switching sections and one wire for each of the sections that will connect to the common wire when that section is stepped on. This is where you can hack in.

If not an ordinary bit of foam between two strips of metal so that they spring apart when there is little weight on them, but squash the foam so that the two bits of metal come in to contact with each other when there is significant weight on them.

Good luck