Arduino IDE stalls when opening for the first time on Macbook Pro M2 with Apple M2 Max chip

I purchased the new Macbook Pro M2 with the Apple M2 Max chip and went to download the Arduino IDE 2.1.0. I chose the apple silicon option and it downloaded fine but when i went to open it, the app just bounces for a few minutes then it says it isn't responding and my only option is to "force quit" the application.

I tried downloading the Nightly Build version for mac as well but that resulted in the same outcome.

Has anyone else ran into this issue with any of the apple silicon chips or, specifically, the new M2s?

Hi @jljakin2. In order to gather more information that might help us to troubleshoot your problem, I'm going to ask you to run Arduino IDE from the command line, then share the output.

Please do this:

1. Close all Arduino IDE windows if the IDE is already running.
  2. Open your Applications folder in Finder.
  3. Open the Utilities folder.
  4. Double-click on "Terminal".
  5. Type the following command in the Terminal window:
    "/Applications/Arduino IDE.app/Contents/MacOS/Arduino IDE"

6. Press Enter
  7. Wait until you are sure the IDE startup has gone into the hang state
    (as indicated by no additional output being printed to the Terminal window).
  8. Switch back to the Terminal window if the Arduino IDE window took the focus.
  9. Press +A.
    This will select all the text in the Terminal window.
  10. Press +C.
    This will copy the selected text to the clipboard.
  11. Open a forum reply here by clicking the Reply button.
  12. Click the <CODE/> icon on the post composer toolbar.
    This will add the forum's code block markup (```) to your reply to make sure the output is correctly formatted.
    Code tags icon on toolbar
  13. Press +V.
    This will paste the output into the code block.
  14. Move the cursor outside of the code block markup before you add any additional text to your reply.
  15. Click the Reply button to post the output.

Please let me know if you have any questions or problems while following those instructions.

I tried the method you suggested and after 20 minutes of waiting, nothing came up in the terminal and no apps were launched from my mac. I also tried the command without quotes but it resulted in an error and I tried to run open -a [nameOfArduinoIde] and that just resulted in the stalled app launch that I get when double clicking on the app.

For reference, here is a screenshot of the state of my terminal after running the command you suggested and waiting 20 minutes:

Have you tried deleting the software completely and re-installing it?

Yes I have done that for both the stable and nightly build versions

Just for a time can you download the older or the legacy Arduino IDE version from here CLICK HERE

OK, hmmm. We can try a different technique to obtain the logs then:

The IDE automatically writes log files while it is running. I think these logs might contain some information that will allow us to identify the problem so I'm going to ask you to provide the latest log file from your computer.

Please do this:

1. Open a forum reply here by clicking the Reply button.
  2. Click the "Upload" icon (image) on the post composer toolbar:
    Upload icon on toolbar
    A dialog will open.
  3. In the dialog, select the latest .log file from this folder (the files are named according to the date):
    /Users/<username>/Library/Logs/Arduino IDE/

(where <username> is your macOS username)
    :exclamation: The Library folder is hidden by default. You can make it visible by pressing the Command+Shift+. keyboard shortcut.
  4. Click the Open button.
  5. Click the Reply button to publish the post.

Alternatively, instead of using the "Upload" icon on the post composer toolbar as described in steps (5) - (7) above, you can simply drag and drop the .log file onto the post composer field to attach it.

Please let me know if you have any questions or problems while following those instructions.

Thank you for all your help. I got it to work. There was a damaged app that I tried opening a few days ago and a pop up kept showing up telling me it was damaged. I couldn't get it to go away so i just hid it in the corner. I forgot i did that. I resolved that issue yesterday and as soon as i did that another pop up came asking me if arduino IDE was safe because it was downloaded from the internet. After confirming that pop up, everything started working. My guess is the damaged app pop up was blocking the one for arduino IDE so it never had a chance to open.

I'm glad it is working now. Nice work finding the cause of the problem! Thanks for taking the time to post an update with your solution.

Regards,
Per

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.