ARDUINO LOOK DEAD AGAIN!

Hi,

I use Arduino Nano in my quadcopter and after a few crashes it stopped working. I changed it to another arduino, had a few crashes and it stopped working again.

Arduino was never “touched” when my quad crashed, it was inside a protective case. The only way it could damage itself would be with the G force of the collision of the quad with the ground.

Looking carefully to my arduino nano board (both) nothing looks wrong, absolutelly nothing. I smelled all the board and it smells good, nothing burned.

When I connect both boards to USB of my comptuer, the PWR light lights on but no other LED works. My ARDUINO IDE also recognizes the arduino board (COM3) but when I click upload a SKETCH arduino hangs at UPLOADING… and nothing else happens.

My arduino nano is this → http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-719846611-arduino-nano-v30-sem-cabo-usb-_JM

Do you have any idea what piece/part could be dead in an arduino nano when it has really strong G forces acting in it? Do you have any idea what should I try to fix, remove or replce in my board?

I bet crashing your 'copter did a lot more expensive damage than to a £2 nano - they're not built to mil specs! If you want such a device you'll pay a LOT more......

bite the bullet- fit a new one and fly more carefully.........

regards

Allan

That link points to a rip off Arduino. It is likely that the quality is poor and that the mechanical shock has fractured some of the soldering or tracks. If you can find where this has happened I suspect a simple application of a blob of solder will fix it. However finding it can be tricky. First you need to examine the board under high magnification to see if you can find the fracture. Then you need to check if you can find it using a continuity tester. DO NOT - apply random blobs of solder around the circuit in the hope that you will find it.

It is most likely that the fracture is around a heavy component so check those first. As the board is recognised by your computer that rules out the USB connector.

Like Grumpy Mike said, it could very likely be a fault in the construction of the board itself, it might be extra fragile. I use boards by Arduino, OSepp, Seeed, Sparkfun, Adafruit, and DFRobot. I am happy with the construction of those boards.

On the other hand, your problem might be in the power supply. Suppose your crash causes the power supply to over-volt the board. This would cause failure, but, unlike drawing too much current, would not cause a burnt smell.

Try to test the voltage going into the board after your next crash.

I have been poo poohd for this before but i suspect the crystal is susceptible to shock one way or another.

If you have a scope see if it is oscillating.

Boardburner2:
I have been poo poohd for this before but i suspect the crystal is susceptible to shock one way or another.

If you have a scope see if it is oscillating.

Crystals are rather rare now in low end arduinos, although I guess the resonator could go the same way.

Thank you all, I just checked visually all my board focusing in heavy elements and it still loooks fine. With the symptom I gave you, what is the first guilty component you think? I mean, when I connect arduino to my USB, the arduino IDE recognizes it and the PWR light powers on but nothing else lights up, not even the middle leds in the board. Any suspect that I should blob?

batata004:
I mean, when I connect arduino to my USB, the arduino IDE recognizes it and the PWR light powers on but nothing else lights up, not even the middle leds in the board.

The IDE talks to the board via a USB chip on the board.
That chip is obviously working , its the 328 that is not.

If you cannot see anything amiss there is not much you can do.