Arduino Micro Serial Monitor/Windows XP issue

Hello,

I seem to have run into a little problem, which I am unable to find in these forums (please correct me if I'm wrong). In my lab I have a Windows 2000 SP4 and a Windows XP SP2 machine. I also have an Arduino Micro and an Uno (both R3). I know there are issues with Windows 2000, to be more specific, the USB Serial driver (usbser.sys) that is supplied doesn't work with the Arduino software. I was able to work around this by using the Windows XP driver and bypassing the Windows System File Check. I have been using the Uno on both the XP and the 2000 system for some time. Recently, I purchased the Micro R3 and found that it bluescreened my Windows 2000 machine while installing the drivers. Fine, Windows 2000 isn't officially supported anyway.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it to work with Windows XP either. All the drivers installed perfectly, and I am able to upload to the device, but I can't get any output from the Serial Monitor. I've tried changing baud-rates up and down, adding delays in the code, the "while(!Serial){};" trick and even reinstalling the drivers. The machine is an IBM Intellistation Pro with an Intel chipset and Intel USB. There are no offending programs installed like security software or other applications that use or scan serial ports. I'm sure the board is OK, because it works fine with a Windows 7 SP1 machine, but I need it to work in the lab. Does anybody have any suggestions? Are there any known compatibility issues? Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

PelliX

EDIT: I've tested the IBM box (which usually runs Windows XP) with Linux, and the Serial Monitor works fine on the same hardware (using arduino-1.0.5). Obviously, there must a software/driver issue with Windows XP here somewhere. Any ideas?