Arduino Pro Mini not working with FTDI Driver after Bootloader installation

Hello All,
After succefully replacing the controller on the Pro Mini and testing the connections are correct. I first set the fuses to L 0xF7 H to 0xD6 and E to 0x05.
Then always with the USBasp I installed the bootloader, by installing minicore lib, and selecting atmega328, ext clk, bod=2.7V, EEPROM=retained, LTO disabled, variant: 328P, Bootloader =yes (UART0), then clicked on burn bootloader, which was successful.
Then I tried uploading a sketch via the programmer "upload using programmer" and that was successful.
However when I tried uploading the same sketch with the FTDI (after switching the board to " Arduino AVR boards/ Pro Mini" & processor"atmega328P 16MHz" and selecting the correct port for FTDI (which was tested on another device where the programming was successful with FTDI) ). Then I click on "compile and upload" it tries to send data (red LED turning on but green one does not) but will not recieve any data.
So Im kind of a newby here, so I might be making a dumb mistake.
Any ideas what I should try?
Many Thanks for your support.

That wipes the bootloader so you have to burn it again.

And in case you don't have it, you need to wire DTR on the FTDI to reset on the Pro Mini whe programming over serial.

Ahhhhhhhh... Well that explains it.
but I tried reinstalling the bootloader successfully then trying to program via FTDI and it still didn't work.

Wait a second?! Isnt that already connected on the pro mini board via a 0.1uF capacitor? Ichecked that that is properly connected. Are you saying I should short that cap?

OK I tried it, I connected DTR directly to Reset, but still nothing. It tries to send the data but doesnt receive anything back.

I found the solution. basically I cannot burn the bootloader for minicore atmega328 and then try to operate it as a arduino mini pro. You have to burn the bootloader for the arduino mini pro, which unfortunately also programs the fuses to an external oscillator.
So after connecting one, I could re-fuse it to the internal clock, but then I cannot program with the FTDI anymore, it did work when the ext clock was fused and present.
So I reburned the bootloader for minicore atmega 328 with the following settings:atmega328, ext clk, bod=2.7V, EEPROM=retained, LTO disabled, variant: 328P, Bootloader =yes (UART0).
Then I checked the FTDI was on port COM3, which it was, and tried to upload a program. now here I get another error, which I cannot solve.

Sketch uses 1030 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x20
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x20
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x20
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x20
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x20
An error occurred while uploading the sketch

I tried switching TX and RX, same thing. The autoreset values for cap is 0.47uF and 22k (and I tried 2.2k, as it has the same time constant as the 10k + 0.1uF, as well), still same issue.
Any idea as to what I am doing wrong?

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.