Arduino Project - Send SMS when main power loss

Hi Experts! I need your help once more :smiley:

I want to program an Arduino with a GSM module that is connected to an outlet and a backup battery.
When the main power goes off I want the Arduino to feed with the backup battery and send a SMS to my number.

So far the SMS part is more or less clear but I have a doubt with the backup battery, the more I investigate it, more confused I am (far from being an expert on electronics....)

I will appreciate your guidance on this topic!

Please show an example of your investigations which appears be a much confusing for you

1 Like

These for example:

I dont know if I'm searching with the correct keywords....

I can’t find it , but didn’t a similar query come up yesterday about detecting mains loss and batteries ?

Anyhow …

Easiest way to detect mains failure is to use a relay powered off the mains and use it’s contacts to detect supply loss .
Lipos are difficult to use for backup as it’s difficult to charge them whilst supplying a load ( google pass thro charger ).
Easiest is a small lead acid battery , which are cheap and very safe , connected to a constant voltage supply ( at the batteries float voltage -) and connected in turn to the Arduino, either direct or via a buck convertor to give the voltage you want.

Const voltage keeps the battery charged , no glitches on power failure as no switch over .
There are many other ways , probably worth getting some battery knowledge and how to charge them .
If you wanted to you could also monitor the battery voltage !

1 Like

You’re solving two problems…

1. detect power droop
  2. identify threshold, and send notification
    … shutdown, or any subsequent actions.

Thanks! I need to check how to connect the battery in... ¿paralel?

anyway, i was thinking about a possible solution, what do you think? I was wondering if the relay should be open or closed....

Open or closed - doesn’t matter .

In parallel - I’ve only shown wot connects to wot , not the individual wires .

I think you need to look at some basic elastictrickery stuff , so you understand what you are doing and why .
Get someone to do the mains part and get that bit enclosed so you are safe if you are unsure

Good project !!

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.