Arduino to Custom Board Step-by-Step

Hi everyone. We made sensor project with MEGA. And we want to manufacture own board. I am trying to draw schematic firstly. I examined this schematic : https://www.arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/arduino-mega-schematic.pdf. ı I searched and read some topics But i have still some technique questions

Q1) In schematic, FT232RL and its component are used for USB communucations. Am I right ?

Q2) In schematic, what is the purpose of this circuit ? Do i have to draw these on my board schematc? |500x232

Q3) In our own board we dont wana use usb, so we can delete these component ? |500x295 Q4) IF yes, Can we use just ICSP pins for programming ? Q5) IF yes, we use UsbTinyISP and connect to Atmega2560 via 6-ICSP pins like that? |500x500 Q6) IF yes, Firstly we have to send bootload to blank Atmega2560 uc ? Q7) After that all we can use our own board like arduino, and we can send code from Arduino IDE ? Q8) Is there any trick point or necessary thing i have to know while drawing schematic own atmega2560board? Q9) Finally, is there any book topic, pdf or article which explains how to make own board from arduino ?

Sorry for my bad English, thx for helping :D :D

1) Yes, t's just usb to serial 2,3) It's for switching between USB power an external power jack. Don't need it unless you need to do that :-P (also, I don't approve of the way they did it anyway)

4) Sure, you can always program via ICSP. 5) Well, I suspect it would look a little different, because you'd be plugging into a custom board not an Uno. 6) No, only need to bootload if programming over serial port (ie, through usb to serial converter). You will need to set the fuses though, either through "burn bootloader" or manual avrdude command. They come set to run at 1mhz off internal clock, you probably want it running on the external clock like a mega. 7) Yuh, will probably want to make your own board definition so it automatically uses ISP and doesn't assume it can program via serial, and so you can account for any other idieosyncracies of your board. 8) Drawing the schematic? Nothing specific to Arduino, just general board design stuff. Yes, you do need every decoupling cap the datasheet recommends, and the traces to them need to be as short as possible. Likewise on short traces for the crystal (or resonator)

DrAzzy: 7) Yuh, will probably want to make your own board definition so it automatically uses ISP and doesn't assume it can program via serial, and so you can account for any other idieosyncracies of your board.

As i understand (truly i didnt understand your last sentence exactly :sweat_smile:) I can not present my board like Arduino MEGA to Arduino IDE ? i must use other IDEs to program my uc. My plan is programming own board by Arduino ide via ICSP . It is on below :D

|500x129

If i understand right, what i must to do for make system which is working like on image ?

Yes, totally possible. As long as there's an arduino core for it, and the chip uses ISP programming, you can do this.

You can always program via ISP/ICSP (abbreviation practices are not standard here) - you choose "upload with programmer" instead of the normal upload.

But - if you modify boards.txt (or rathe, make a new entry based on the Mega) so it doesn't know that it can be uploaded to over serial, it will always use the ISP programmer, and you won't have to remember to choose "upload with programmer" every time. You may also want to adjust the fuse settings, depending on what your board is doing.

You can program your board with Arduino Ide, no other Ide is needed.

Finally, I got it 8) My questions in my mind were answered.Thnk you for all replies :D