Arduino Uno + L298N Motor Driver Help

Hi, i'm doing a project in school where i'm making an automated parking boom. After running into trouble with using a STK500 + ATmega 8535 my team and i decided to buy an Arduino instead. Now where having some trouble with getting the motor driver connected so that we can control the motor via the Arduino..

Our current schematic looks like this:

Please consider that we're total newbies and haven't had any proper training on how to use these chips.

Also, here is the link for the schematic of the L298N. http://www.alexkotsc.co.cc/L298n.pdf

You need to connect all the logic inputs of the L298 to something... Also both Isense pins need to connect to ground.

So I3 and I4 need to be connected to ground aswell?

Isense pins, whats that? (I think you mean Sensing A and Sensing B, meaning that pin 1 and pin 15 on the L298 be connected to ground)

EDIT

Just noticed that i didn't connect ENA ( Enable A ) to the Arduino on the picture.

Took another swing at it, setting it up on breadboard, with this http://www.pyroelectro.com/tutorials/l298_control/img/schematic.gif schematic in mind.

My fritzing breadboard looks as follows with status LED's and a speaker for the parking booms system.

And here's the schematics

What impedance is your motor? Obviously the L298 only gives out 2A, so you don't want too low/high an impedance relative to too low/high a voltage else you'll burn out the L298, or not get enough current. Also do you have the diodes as per fig 6 in the datasheet? If not you might pop the L298 with back EMF.

You don't need a current sense resistor and feedback to the arduino unless you want to monitor the current and affect PWM duty cycle to current limit.

The only specs i have on the current motor is that it's 12V DC. I would guess that it's lower than 2A maybe 1-1.5 A max.

I'm a bit confused as to where i need to place the diodes to prevent the L298 burning, now that i'm not following these diagrams? It's not whats most important atm because i have 50+ L298's available but of course it would be better to do it right the first time! :slight_smile:

As far as i can see, i would need to place the diodes on the lower two rails on my breadboard and lead them to ground to prevent any power flowing back. Correct me if im wrong :slight_smile:

Put a multimeter across the motor and see what the resistance is? Use ohms law to find the current since I = V/R. V=12v, R is what the multimeter reads, then check I will be less than 2A. Otherwise you might damaged the motor and overheat the L298. e.g. if it measures 10?, then I = 12/10 = 1.2A which is fine for the L298 and hopefully the motor. If it's 5? I = 12/5 = 2.4A = too much for the L298 and maybe the motor. If so you'd need to add a series resistor.

As you worked out, you only need half the H-bridge. An L298 will drive 2 normal motors like yours, or 1 stepper motor.

I'm not exactly any kind of expert on this but am currently trying to use an L298 to drive a stepper motor.

The only problems is, that i can't check the resistance in the motor because we have to leave them at school. And i already knew that i only needed to use half the H-bridge, i've had some theory, but it's just hooking the L298 up to the Arduino properly..

I will put my design down on a physical breadboard and test it out :slight_smile:

Hello all,
I am doing a project where I have to connect L298 driver board with the arduino uno for the motor control purpose.I tried the H-Bridge ic but the output current is too small to drive an AESOP motor.The link of L298 board is
http://webbot.org.uk/WebbotLibDocs/34638.html.This board needs to be connected through Arduino Uno to move the AESOP motor .

The motor is of AESOP 3000 robot.Please help me with the connection.Thank you.