Arduino UNO with BigSur and Apple M1 chip

Hello
I just bought a recent McBook Pro with MacOS BigSur (i.e. MacOSX version 11.6) and Apple M1 chip, before I had a PC where everything worked fine until I switched to this recent Mac with M1 chip.

I have an issue while uploading sketches (the board is not visible, the loopback test failed) when I connect my Arduino UNO R3 board with the latest IDE (2.0 or even yesterday's nightly build) on a Macbook pro with Apple M1 chip and using the original Apple USB / USBC adapter (as recommended in some forums), but I still have an error:
"Sketch uses 936 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.

Compilation complete.
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
Upload error: Failed uploading: uploading error: exit status 1"

Looks like a driver issue for M1 chip , do you have any fix to solve this issue ?

Thanks in advance
Thomas

P.S. Same board working perfectly well on my PC

I use an Apple USB Type C to USB host cable along with the usual USB cable for the Uno. No drivers needed to be installed or updated. I use the IDE 1.8.16. I have never used the 2.0 version. Mac Air M1 running Big Sur. My friend says a cheap USB Type C to USB host cable from Amazon also works.

The issue is specific to M1 chipset.

Yes, I am running a Macbook Air M1. Do you think the problem is specific to the new 2021 M1 Macbooks?

Someone posted on another thread that M1 isnt currently supported because of the architecture difference, but it is being developed.

Post #5 of that tread.

As he states, you can get and follow more info about it here: Home · arduino/arduino-create-agent Wiki · GitHub

They have a beta, but I havent tried it myself yet since I just found it. Having the same issue with my Mac M1. I even tried using my old windows pc and loaded the ArduinoOTA sketch on it and got my ESP32 working and online. The mac IDE (running 2.0....nightly build) can see it but constantly drops the connection to just keeps cycling between reconnecting and going to the debug wlan

Hi bnvill84
Thank you for this answer. I already tried the nightly build:
Version: 2.0.0-beta.12-nightly.20211113
Date: 2021-11-13T03:03:05.693Z (2 weeks ago)
CLI Version: 0.19.1 alpha [718bbbf2]

Any idea how can I install this browser agent on M1 ? :

" Home · arduino/arduino-create-agent Wiki · GitHub"

Looks like it is only available for amd64 chipset

ArduinoCreateAgent-1.2.4-osx-amd64-installer-chrome.dmg

Regards

I downloaded the 1.2.5 amd64 version for chrome. I can now see the board, but it keeps dropping the connection. Think there may be something else going on that's causing a conflict with the communication. I will play around with it hopefully tonight and see if I can narrow it down or possibly fix it and let you know.