arduinoISP ATtiny45 Yikes!

I am running arduino 0021, with an arduino duemilanove. I uploaded the ArduinoISP sketch successfully. I am now trying to upload the Blink sketch to an ATtiny45. I followed the High Low Tech tutorial to set up the programmer, http://hlt.media.mit.edu/?p=1229. I rechecked all the wiring about 8 times now. I also checked that a steady 5 volts is making it to the ATtiny45. I am receiving this error.

avrdude: please define PAGEL and BS2 signals in the configuration file for part ATtiny45
avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

Any ideas? Please let me know if you need more information.

Thank you,
Eric

Be sure to disable auto-reset on the Duemilanove. If you don't the Duemilanove will be reset and the uploading program (avrdude) will be talking to the Duemilanove bootloader and not the ArduinoISP sketch.

A small (1-10 microfard) capacitor from Reset (+) to Gorund (-) will do it.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I did do that. I am still seeing the same error.

In your preferences.txt file add the line:

upload.verbose=true

Close the Arduino IDE before and re-start after. It only loads the preferences.txt file on startup.

That will spit out a ton of diagnostic messages, including the value of the Device Signature that doesn't match the expected value.

(If debugging a regular upload you can hold Shift while clicking the Upload button to get the same effect.)

Great. thanks. I will try that tonight. I figured there was a verbose option, but did not see it when i was poking around.

Here is the verbose output from the upload. Do you see anything wrong?

Binary sketch size: 658 bytes (of a 4096 byte maximum)
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -C/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -pattiny45 -cstk500v1 -P/dev/tty.usbserial-A9007Rof -b19200 -Uflash:w:/var/folders/B4/B41KcGpYFPaF7bXG-Ydnmk+++TI/-Tmp-/build31865920667947411.tmp/Blink.cpp.hex:i 

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct  9 2007 at 11:20:31
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

System wide configuration file is "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/Users/erick/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port            : /dev/tty.usbserial-A9007Rof
         Using Programmer      : stk500v1
         Overriding Baud Rate  : 19200
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20] 
avrdude: Recv: . [14] 
avrdude: Recv: . [10] 
         AVR Part              : ATtiny45
         Chip Erase delay      : 4500 us
         PAGEL                 : P00
         BS2                   : P00
         RESET disposition     : possible i/o
         RETRY pulse           : SCK
         serial program mode   : yes
         parallel program mode : yes
         Timeout               : 200
         StabDelay             : 100
         CmdexeDelay           : 25
         SyncLoops             : 32
         ByteDelay             : 0
         PollIndex             : 3
         PollValue             : 0x53
         Memory Detail         :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65     6     4    0 no        256    4      0  4000  4500 0xff 0xff
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           flash         65     6    32    0 yes      4096   64     64  4500  4500 0xff 0xff
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          2    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : STK500
         Description     : Atmel STK500 Version 1.x firmware
avrdude: Send: A [41] . [80]   [20] 
avrdude: Recv: . [02] 
avrdude: Send: A [41] . [81]   [20] 
avrdude: Recv: . [01] 
avrdude: Send: A [41] . [82]   [20] 
avrdude: Recv: . [12] 
avrdude: Send: A [41] . [98]   [20] 
avrdude: Recv: . [00] 
         Hardware Version: 2
         Firmware Version: 1.18
         Topcard         : Unknown
avrdude: Send: A [41] . [84]   [20] 
avrdude: Send: A [41] . [85]   [20] 
avrdude: Send: A [41] . [86]   [20] 
avrdude: Send: A [41] . [87]   [20] 
avrdude: Send: A [41] . [89]   [20] 
         Vtarget         : 0.0 V
         Varef           : 0.0 V
         Oscillator      : Off
         SCK period      : 0.1 us

avrdude: Send: A [41] . [81]   [20] 
avrdude: Recv: . [01] 
avrdude: Send: A [41] . [82]   [20] 
avrdude: Recv: . [12] 
avrdude: Send: B [42] . [14] . [00] . [00] . [01] . [01] . [01] . [01] . [03] . [ff] . [ff] . [ff] . [ff] . [00] @ [40] . [01] . [00] . [00] . [00] . [10] . [00]   [20] 
avrdude: please define PAGEL and BS2 signals in the configuration file for part ATtiny45
avrdude: Send: P [50]   [20] 
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | avrdude: Send: u [75]   [20] 
avrdude: Recv: . [14] . [00] . [00] . [00] . [10] 
################################################## | 100% 0.04s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000
avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude: Send: Q [51]   [20] 

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Reading | avrdude: Send: u [75] [20]
avrdude: Recv: . [14] . [00] . [00] . [00] . [10]
################################################## | 100% 0.04s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000

The good news is that ArduinoISP seems to be working.

The bad news is that the connection to the target processor seems to be incorrect.

How do you have the Duemilanove connected to the ATtiny45?

This is a link to a photo of my setup.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/imakefunthings/6477735927/

I connected the attiny like this:
Arduino +5V ---> ATtiny Pin 8
Arduino Ground ---> ATtiny Pin 4
Arduino Pin 10 ---> ATtiny Pin 1
Arduino Pin 11 ---> ATtiny Pin 5
Arduino Pin 12 ---> ATtiny Pin 6
Arduino Pin 13 ---> ATtiny Pin 7

Also, is the 10uF capacitor required for the duemilanove from reset to ground or should i be doing something different there?

Unless I misinterpret the breadboard picture, isn't the LED on pin one going to keep the ATtiny in reset?

(deleted)

erickozokas:
This is a link to a photo of my setup.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/imakefunthings/6477735927/

Is it just an odd angle or do you have the Yellow,Yellow,Orange, and Green wires plugged into D11,D12,D13, and Ground instead of D10,D11,D12, and D13?

Geez, I didn't think my photo was that bad. =).

It is an odd angle. The wires are plugged into D10,D11,D12,D13.

Pin 1 of the ATtiny chip is in the bottom right corner when looking at the photo. There is no notch on the chip. There is an indented dot on the top of the chip in the bottom right hand corner.

(deleted)

Sorry again if the photo is misleading. The breadboard is hooked to 5v. I tested right at the attiny45. it is receiving 5v. Should I be testing something else?

Is there a way to find out what the device signature should be for the ATtiny45?
Why would avrdude see it as a different signature? Does it have to do with the baudrate?
Should I be using a resistor(size?) instead of a capacitor on the arduino between reset and ground since I am using a duemilanove and not an uno?

Thanks to everyone helping. I really appreciate it. I am clueless with this problem and do not want to give up. Fixing this will open up so many interesting opportunities.

Signatures are in the datasheet:

ATtiny25 0x1E 0x91 0x08
ATtiny45 0x1E 0x92 0x06
ATtiny85 0x1E 0x93 0x0B

(deleted)

Okay, so I think it is time to move on (for now).

I tried everything I could think of to program my attiny45 with no avail. Today I received a new batch of attiny45s in the mail. I stuck a new one in and it programmed perfectly with the Blink sketch. The old attiny45 has an old program i loaded through avrdude months ago, but i was not able to get it to do it again this time around.

is it possible that something was changed on the attiny45 when i last programmed it that could prevent any further changes from taking place?

anyway like i said, arduino and my arduinoisp are working perfectly with my new batch of attiny45s so i think it is time for me to enjoy myself while things are working and move on. I will have to save the old attiny45 and revisit this later.

(deleted)

The HV Rescue Shield 2 is only $20:

That is a nice find. Thanks for the link. If I start to accumulate these that will be a good investment.