Attiny85 not reading my IR instructions!?!??!?

Hello there everyone!

I am new to the arduino stuff, i understands electronics very well and have been a professional developer for a year or two(In java not arduino).
I have pickedup 20 IR receivers(3-pins) and a few Attiny’s and i am planning on throwing these in al my electronics to make them remotely toggleable by an apple tv remote!(ofcourse using a relais for high powered devices)

After allot of struggle getting it to upload succesfully trough an arduino ISP made from a nano3.0
I now have a problem that it wont read ANY incomming ir transmission
I have used the same code running from an arduino but it isnt working on the Attiny85

here is the code:

#include <IRremoteInt.h>
#include <IRremote.h>

int RECV_PIN = 3;

IRrecv irrecv(RECV_PIN);

decode_results results;
const int led_pin = 0;
void setup()
{
  //Serial.begin(9600);
  pinMode(led_pin,OUTPUT);
  pinMode(RECV_PIN,INPUT);
  irrecv.enableIRIn(); // Start the receiver
}
long unsigned int yes = 2011265791;
boolean on = true;
void loop() {
  if (irrecv.decode(&results)) {
   //Serial.println(results.value);
    if(results.value != 4294967295){
       //if(yes == results.value){
         if(on){
                 on = false;
         }else{
                 on = true;
         }

//}
       // Serial.print("data: ");
        //Serial.println(on);
    }

irrecv.resume(); // Receive the next value
  }
  if(on){
    digitalWrite(led_pin,HIGH);
  }else{
    digitalWrite(led_pin,LOW);
  }

delay(200);
}

Please help i dunno what todo and btw the commenting of the serial-outs were for posting it to an attiny you should uncomment those for testing on an arduino!

The tiny has very limited resources.

How many bytes of RAM are available after uploading your sketch?

Whandall: The tiny has very limited resources.

How many bytes of RAM are available after uploading your sketch?

1Kb or so

1kb of RAM? The chip only has 512 total. 8k flash 512 ram.

Is the attiny85 running at the same speed that you're compiling the sketch for? They ship set to run at 1mhz, and you need to select the clock speed you want, and do 'burn bootloader' to make it use that (note that if you set it to use an external crystal and don't have one connected, the chip can't be reprogrammed until you connect one, or an external clock signal).

You can run the 85 at 8mhz off internal osc, or 16 off the internal PLL (only available on the tiny x5/x61, not on most AVRs), and you may need to use one of these options for the IR library to work. Most people don't bother testing libraries at 1mhz, since almost everyone runs the chips at 8, 12, or 16.

DrAzzy: 1kb of RAM? The chip only has 512 total. 8k flash 512 ram.

Is the attiny85 running at the same speed that you're compiling the sketch for? They ship set to run at 1mhz, and you need to select the clock speed you want, and do 'burn bootloader' to make it use that (note that if you set it to use an external crystal and don't have one connected, the chip can't be reprogrammed until you connect one, or an external clock signal).

thank you so much for a reply i messed up i tought he ment the flash and i have set it to 8mhz internally and the program is running since the led is on (by default when starting the program) so i know its there i think and i have ran a few small led based stuff on them before so i think they are ok, how exactly can i see how much ram they have left?

Help anyone??

Does the speed at which you are running the 85 jive with the library? If you've got the 85 running at 8MHz and the library expects 16MHz then you're not going to get good data across.

I did not create library and i dont know what speed the library is suppose to run what speed does the atmega320p or arduino nano run at?

Lawhit: I did not create library and i dont know what speed the library is suppose to run what speed does the atmega320p or arduino nano run at?

The 328P arduinos usually run at 16MHz.

I know you didn't write the library, but have you had a good look at it to see? Quite often you'll find that when you are doing something outside of the original intent of a library you will have to make some alterations to it. The only time you get to treat them like a black box is when you are doing exactly what the original author intended.

How does that library handle timing? Would that be affected by a change in clock speed?