Basic Security Control

Hi,
I'm a real newbie and had a question about suitability/feasibility of an Arduino based security controller. What I had in mind would need to be able to deal with say up to 6 inputs from detection devices and enunciate different situations say via audible chime or other audible output based on pre selected status.

For example if I use an IR beam to detect entrance into the front yard in day light hours (maybe use light dependent device input) a gentle chime can sound inside the house to let us know there is potentially someone outside. If it happens in darkness then additional to the chime some external lights can be switched on.

Or an IR beam on the side access of the property will result in a chime if an "at home state" is selected or drive a device to make a noise like someone or a large dog is inside the house if "away from home state" is selected.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

cheers.

This is all simple for the Arduino. It is just read inputs until active then depending on which input, select the output you want.

What is you experience in electronics and programming? You say newbie, that could just be to the forum.

Weedpharma

Thanks for your reply.

I'm definitely an Arduino newbie

I have some experience in electronics, mostly building to published circuit diagrams.
I haven't programmed anything for a while but could get around in basic/ quickbasic. I use logic in spreadsheets all the time.
I have an Arduino experimenters kit from a local electronics store which I have played around with using downloaded programs for some simple stuff.

You should then do a lot of reading and practice programming. Learn the basics of the programming language and how to read inputs and send outputs.

There are many helpful members on the forum that will help with any problems. You do however need to do some work to show you are prepared to put in some effort.

Read lots of threads and guidelines on writing a program.

Weedpharma