Bedroom automation help

Hello fellow arduino users!!

My current project is to make my bedroom automated using voice commands. Since im very new to this project and im currently in the planning phase..i have no idea how to actually connect ceiling fixtures such as, a simple lightbulb to the arduino or relays.. What im trying to ask here is: How can i connect a light bulb thats connected to the ceiling fixtures to an arduino or relay? I have searched all over the web for answers and tips but I have no luck.....all comments, tips, and suggestions will be considered. Thanks all in advance.

IMO, the safest, simplest and cheapest way would be to use something like this http://www.httbuy.com/remote-to-e27-base-socket-adapter-holder-rf-wireless-switch-control-light-bulb-lamp-110v-250v.html and use the arduino to send appropriate RF commands to it. No messing with the existing wiring.

So you are saying to use a remote controlled socket and let the arduino control the remote? Can’t I just connect the existing wires that is connected to the wall switch and connect them to the relay?

TouristySeeker8: So you are saying to use a remote controlled socket and let the arduino control the remote? Can't I just connect the existing wires that is connected to the wall switch and connect them to the relay?

Not unless you are absolutely 100% positive you know what you are doing; those high voltages can very easily kill you.

TouristySeeker8: So you are saying to use a remote controlled socket and let the arduino control the remote? Can't I just connect the existing wires that is connected to the wall switch and connect them to the relay?

Well if you were 100% sure you knew what you were doing, then yes, you probably could. But then you've got to figure out where to put the relays so they're safe, and nicely mounted, and not just hanging out of your light socket. And then if you move house or something you'll have to put it back the way it was. Likewise if you decide to change things around. Remote controlled light socket would be zero effort to do, zero effort to revert. You could use something like rc-switch library to capture the codes from the RC unit and transmit them to the socket using 433 tx, so you don't have to have the arduino physically connected to the RCU.

kenmc:

Well if you were 100% sure you knew what you were doing, then yes, you probably could. But then you've got to figure out where to put the relays so they're safe, and nicely mounted, and not just hanging out of your light socket. And then if you move house or something you'll have to put it back the way it was. Likewise if you decide to change things around. Remote controlled light socket would be zero effort to do, zero effort to revert. You could use something like rc-switch library to capture the codes from the RC unit and transmit them to the socket using 433 tx, so you don't have to have the arduino physically connected to the RCU.

so If i did know what i was doing, would it be possible to use the house electricity to power the relay or will it fry it? Also i was thinking to hide everything in a wall and seal it with a closed cover....

TouristySeeker8: would it be possible to use the house electricity to power the relay or will it fry it?

Both.

Arrch:

TouristySeeker8: would it be possible to use the house electricity to power the relay or will it fry it?

Both.

okay so I have to use a battery to power the relay and the arduino? Or can I use the house electricity to power the arduino?

If you are not an electrician who knows the electrical code do not modify house wiring . You will be liable for any damage or harm that may result. The suggestion for the wireless remote with the screw in base in a good suggestion for a safe control system . I would work with that instead of making changes you may regret. Do not ever conceal any electronics in a walls .You do not want to be the cause of a house fire because of a design that you thought would work , but didn't . I hope you don't take this the wrong way , but safety standards are for our protection and making any changed to a device voids the safety standard. BobbyD

BobbyD: If you are not an electrician who knows the electrical code do not modify house wiring . You will be liable for any damage or harm that may result. The suggestion for the wireless remote with the screw in base in a good suggestion for a safe control system . I would work with that instead of making changes you may regret. Do not ever conceal any electronics in a walls .You do not want to be the cause of a house fire because of a design that you thought would work , but didn't . I hope you don't take this the wrong way , but safety standards are for our protection and making any changed to a device voids the safety standard. BobbyD

thanks for the reply...i instead will work on ceiling fixtures on a later date when i have the proper understanding on how house fixtures work...for now ill just keep working on lamps and other plugged appliances.....thank you all for the replies... i now have a bit of understanding on what i would be dealing with....best regards to everyone!!!! XD

Try this.

http://www.bluetoothbtmod.com/arduino-blog.html