Beginner Question Ethernet Shield

Hi all,

I'm really sorry everyone about how dumb this might sound, but I am very new to using ethernet on an arduino. I now have an Ethernet R3 Shield for my arduino Uno, and I'd like to work on a project.

Essentially I just want, for now, to be able to press a button on my arduino (connected to the internet) and have a light turn on on another arduino connected to the internet, and vice versa. I'd like to say I have a pretty good understanding of the components and the language, I just have no clue how I would send a signal over the internet, or even connect my arduino to the internet for that matter.

Any suggestions on how would I do this? And more importantly, what resources could I use to learn some of this stuff? I've read several posts on this forum and other resources, but even the beginnings totally confuse me (I'm like totally blind when it comes to servers and porting, etc)

Thank you all so much for your help, A noobie in search of learning

I don't have any experience with an Ethernet Shield.

You would be more likely to catch the attention of people who do if you add the words "Ethernet Shield" to your Title. You can change the title if you modify your Original Post.

...R

Have you looked at the examples for the shield?

The vital word here is “internet”, the short answer to your question is “with great difficulty”, and I doubt that any looking at “examples for the shield” will save you,
After all that discouragement, salvation is at hand. I think the vital expression you need to know is “IOT” the Internet of Things. This enables you to bypass the “great difficulty”, and the dirty work is done for you by somebody else. I don’t know how you will actually go at blinking a light on an Arduino in Kaliningrad, but it will provide a path to something that is probably a lot more useful.

Check out Blynk
Thingspeak
Adafruit IO

Hey! I'm currently on a very similar project so I have a bit of advice for you. I'm also a beginner, but I've done a some research into it.

As people said above it's complicated; there are accessories that you can buy online that can make two arduinos communicate directly, which would be much easier.

If you really want them to communicate by internet - a way you would do it is that one of your arduinos hosts a server on your local network, and the other one reads it as a client. The communications would happen through TCP.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/Ethernet provides some useful examples, but it's mostly about making HTML pages which would be an overkill if you're just trying to make two arduinos communicate.

Hope that gives you enough info/vocab to google your way through the project! Tell me if you want to know more :)

Alex.