Best library for the TEA5767 FM Radio module?

Good evening,

I am trying the TEA5767 module but I am a little bit confused: I found at least two or three libraries and It is not clear to me which is the best.

I'm looking for the more complete and I was wondering if there is a function that shows the name ofm the radio station.

What is your experience with this module? Do you have any hint on how to use it at his best?

Many thanks!

Only two or three ?
There are more: site:github.com tea5767 arduino - Google Search.

Check if there are issues and if it is maintained and if it has stars on Github.
Check in the Arduino IDE in the Library Manager, start with those.

For example this one: GitHub - andykarpov/TEA5767: Library for interfacing the Arduino with TEA5767 single chip FM radio
Last update is 8 years ago, that is a very long time :frowning:
It has 41 stars :slight_smile:
The code seems okay :slight_smile:
The issues are not serious :slight_smile:

The problem is not the library, the problem is the TEA5767 itself. It is old, noisy, and not very sensitive. The library has no influence on that. There are no radio-stations near me, and for me the TEA5767 is useless.

Koepel:
Only two or three ?
There are more: site:github.com tea5767 arduino - Google Search.

Check if there are issues and if it is maintained and if it has stars on Github.
Check in the Arduino IDE in the Library Manager, start with those.

For example this one: GitHub - andykarpov/TEA5767: Library for interfacing the Arduino with TEA5767 single chip FM radio
Last update is 8 years ago, that is a very long time :frowning:
It has 41 stars :slight_smile:
The code seems okay :slight_smile:
The issues are not serious :slight_smile:

The problem is not the library, the problem is the TEA5767 itself. It is old, noisy, and not very sensitive. The library has no influence on that. There are no radio-stations near me, and for me the TEA5767 is useless.

Many thanks for your reply!

Yes, I agree with you: this module appears to be very noisy for me and the included antenna seems quite useless.
Generally I can reach a lot of stations without any issue with a standard radio.

Maybe there are in the wild some modules with higher permormances in terms of SNR etc?

I will try the library you have suugested!

Many thanks!

Some chips I have tried in the past, but I forgot which ones :confused: I don't know which module is good today :frowning:
I want to add a FM radio module to a Raspberry Pi internet radio, but I have not yet decided which one. I tried with antenna amplifiers, that helps only a little. I was thinking about a pre-tuner, that works very well for the AM band but not for the FM band.

It is tricky, some 40 years old analog radios are ten times better than brand new digital ones. I tried FM radios with DSP. The audio quality is surprisingly good, but if the radio signal is weak, then the noise is very loud.

When buying something, you first have to verify that there is a good library for it.

The Chinese RDA5807M is a replacement for the Philips TEA5767. It might be a little better, but not much as far as I remember.

Silicon Labs has a whole range of good quality chips: Audio and Radio ICs - Silicon Labs. But some are already 10 years old. There are Arduino projects with the Si4735, that would be a good choice (but not good enough for me).
The Si4735 is very sensitive for a bad design of the module. I bought a Si4735 module once that lost most of the antenna signal before it reached the chip.

If you find a good module, please let me know.

muse_force:
Many thanks for your reply!

Yes, I agree with you: this module appears to be very noisy for me and the included antenna seems quite useless.
Generally I can reach a lot of stations without any issue with a standard radio.

Maybe there are in the wild some modules with higher permormances in terms of SNR etc?

I will try the library you have suugested!

Many thanks!

Your comment about noise with the module makes no sense at all. Noise is always amplitude modulated. The FM module has an amplitude limiting circuit so there is no noise that can come through the module. Please explain what you are calling noise.
Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
Your comment about noise with the module makes no sense at all. Noise is always amplitude modulated. The FM module has an amplitude limiting circuit so there is no noise that can come through the module. Please explain what you are calling noise.
Paul

Good afternoon Paul,

Let's assume an example: I have tried a standard radio and the module at the same frequency. The standard radio works great but the module hasn't the same clarity, some typical background noise, pop and clicks.

I can assume that the SNR of the radio was better than the SNR of the module.

Maybe, or probably, it is a matter of gain of the antenna, but the Frequency Modulation, for what I know, it is not immune from noise even if a limiting amplitue circuit helps a lot.

It is very noisy ! It can not even switch to stereo because the signal is so faint. The sound for most radio stations is half audio/music and half noise. Upstairs or outside it is a little better, but still not even close to acceptable.

I checked with Google Maps and most FM radio stations are from 35 km (21 miles) to 100 km (62 miles) away from me. They are from 5 kW to 100 kW power. The TEA5767 is probably okay for someone living next to a radio station :frowning:

muse_force:
Good afternoon Paul,

Let's assume an example: I have tried a standard radio and the module at the same frequency. The standard radio works great but the module hasn't the same clarity, some typical background noise, pop and clicks.

I can assume that the SNR of the radio was better than the SNR of the module.

Maybe, or probably, it is a matter of gain of the antenna, but the Frequency Modulation, for what I know, it is not immune from noise even if a limiting amplitue circuit helps a lot.

That is very true for a very weak signal. Are you muting the audio until you get a signal from the chip that it has locked onto a station?
Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
That is very true for a very weak signal. Are you muting the audio until you get a signal from the chip that it has locked onto a station?
Paul

Many thanks for your reply.

Actually I founded a messy with two library with the same name.

I have filtered the station to stop the search until the signal is 10/15. Quality has experienced an improvement.

But the sound is not good as it should be. I have a lot of interferences, clicks and pops again.

Maybe there is some electrical noise coming from the power line (It is connected to the +5V pin and GND of my Arduino Nano and the same breadboard has an LCD and an RTC).

Many thanks!