BIG LED Matrix; Arduino IDE compatible...

I waited a while for an official announcment, but...

The folks at Evil Mad Scientist Labs have announced a new version of their "Peggy" large-scale LED matrix board. This version uses an ATmega168 and is compatible with the Arduino development environment (with a USB->serial cable, like the bare bones boards, I think) (and they've got .pde example programs.) Aside from being a neat LED hack, I find the concept of a product compatible with the Arduino IDE that isn't really an Arduino-clone of any sort to be an "interesting" precedent.

Individually controllable LEDs. multiple brightness levels, and capable of running Conway's "life" at a reasonable rate. Horizontally stackable. Saw it at the Bay Area Maker Faire last weekend; very nice... A kit is about $90 with no LEDs, or $256 with 640 white LEDs (it's designed to be partially populated instead of the massive soldering effort in the photo...)

EMSL Peggy-2 info

The folks at Evil Mad Scientist Labs have announced a new version of their "Peggy" large-scale LED matrix board.

I saw that on the makezien blog. It looks very good.

The Arduino that's not an Arduino concept ties into the shield or standalone board thread I started. I do love the idea of integrating an Arduino clone without it because a separate board.

One of my favourite aspects of Arduino is that their philosophy encourages this sort of evolution.