Brushless motor not working properly(hard to turn)

Hello everyone, I am building a quadcopter and while everything was working suddenly one motor stopped working properly. It looks like it is hard to turn, in low speed does not starts. I opened it to clean it and check if any magnet has moved but everything is fine. Is it broken? Any idea on how to fix it? Thanks for your help and time.

Ps
It had no crashes or damages.

If hard to turn when disconnected from driver, probably a bad bearing, if hard to turn when powered, maybe an open winding or bad driver, try it with a different driver (low speed, short test, 1 second max).

JCA79B:
If hard to turn when disconnected from driver, probably a bad bearing, if hard to turn when powered, maybe an open winding or bad driver, try it with a different driver (low speed, short test, 1 second max).

When you try to move it by hand it's kinda the same if it's connected or not. The motor works but not moving. It seems like it can't get enough power but there is no problem in the circuit wires.

When I power the motor just kicks and not moving. If i give it a small push it starts to rotate but slower than other motors. Please any advice is helpfull, should i buy a new 1000kV brushless motor?

Hello everyone, one of my 1000 kV brushless motor suddenly stopped working and just kicks instead of turning. It seems that is not broken as it starts to spin if i give it a small push but at lower speed.Is that a common issue or you think I should buy a new one ?

Thank you all for your time.

JCA79B:

Possible causes are loose winding caught in the gap, broken or dislodged magnet, bearing cooked/seized/
damaged, axle bent, shorted winding (perhaps due to cooking). Probably some others - its time for a bit of detective work
and close visual inspection may revealing something.

Hi,
Swap motors around to check if motor or ESC.

Tom.. :slight_smile:

I am pretty sure that there is no problem with Esc or any other component. The most possible error is that some piece of motor has been crooked(might be the bearing) although it had no crashes. I have oppened the motor and examine it analytically and i really can't see anything. What you suggest? Should i order a new one ? If so, can you suggest me any cheap and reliable brand or shop? I had ordered the motors from honk kong via ebay in a low price and might that be the reason it is not working anymore.

Hi,
The BLDC motor is acting as if it is only running on 2 phases.
Disconnect the motor and measure the motor winding resistances.

While you are there swap the motors over to test on another ESC.
This is BASIC troubleshooting........

Tom.... :slight_smile:

If you get a replacement motor, don't get just one.
One failed already. And you have not even started the crashing phase of your experiment.
Get several spare motors.

(the same goes for props but doubly so)

First of all I really want to thank you all for your time and help!

TomGeorge:
Hi,
The BLDC motor is acting as if it is only running on 2 phases.
Disconnect the motor and measure the motor winding resistances.

While you are there swap the motors over to test on another ESC.
This is BASIC troubleshooting........

Tom.... :slight_smile:

I did a search about electric motor winding but I can't understand how knowing the winding factor will help me.

akiskaps:
First of all I really want to thank you all for your time and help!

I did a search about electric motor winding but I can't understand how knowing the winding factor will help me.

Measure the resistance between each of the 3 wire combinations - A to B, B to C and C to A
If they are all reasonably the same, then you can assume that the windings are good.
If they are not the same, then you have a bad winding and the motor is broken.

vinceherman:
Measure the resistance between each of the 3 wire combinations - A to B, B to C and C to A
If they are all reasonably the same, then you can assume that the windings are good.
If they are not the same, then you have a bad winding and the motor is broken.

Have you done this ever??
Typically the resistances are far too low for a standard multimeter to be useful.
4-termanal resistance measurement is needed, think 30 milliohms as the sort of
value involved.

I have never done this if you think that i just learnt about winding... I will do a research and i will let you know when I will measure the resistances. Once more I really apreciate your help, thank you all(Karma for everyone)!

Ok, after a big troubleshooting i ended up that the problem was the Esc and not the motor. Sry for bothering you all and thanks for your help!