Can not upload to Arduino Nano BLE 33

Hi, I am new so please be nice :slight_smile:

I am trying to upload the Blinky example to my Arduino Nano BLE 33 but I get this error message from the Arduino IDE:

No device found on ttyACM0
Set binary mode
Send auto-baud
An error occurred while uploading the sketch
Set binary mode

Any idea what I could try?

I am running the Arduino IDE as superuser in Manjaro. If you need any more information please feel free to ask.

Full output:

Sketch uses 77820 bytes (7%) of program storage space. Maximum is 983040 bytes.
Global variables use 42192 bytes (16%) of dynamic memory, leaving 219952 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 262144 bytes.
Forcing reset using 1200bps open/close on port /dev/ttyACM0
PORTS {/dev/ttyACM0, } / {/dev/ttyACM0, } => {}
Uploading using selected port: /dev/ttyACM0
/root/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/bossac/1.9.1-arduino1/bossac -d --port=ttyACM0 -U -i -e -w /tmp/arduino_build_408944/Blink.ino.bin -R 
No device found on ttyACM0
Set binary mode
Send auto-baud
An error occurred while uploading the sketch
Set binary mode

Do you have a port that is labeled "Arduino Nano 33 BLE" selected from the Arduino IDE's Tools > Port menu?

Yes I did that.

The way uploads work is:

• The Arduino IDE (or the upload tool used by the Arduino IDE) sends a signal for the microcontroller to reset.
  • The microcontroller resets.
  • The bootloader runs and waits (normally only for a short time) for an upload to start.
  • The upload tool sends the program to the microcontroller, where the bootloader writes it to flash memory.

On the boards with native USB (like the one you're using), the way the IDE signals the microcontroller to reset is by opening a serial connection at 1200 baud. There is some special code running in the background on the microcontroller that does the reset when it detects that 1200 baud connection.

In some cases, the reset code that's supposed to be on the microcontroller could be missing or not working correctly, which will mean the bootloader never runs and the upload fails with the error you're seeing. The fix is to manually reset the board.

Try this:

• Press and release the reset button on your board quickly twice. You should now see the LED on the board pulsing, which means the bootloader is running. The double press causes the bootloader to run indefinitely (until the board is reset, powered off, or an upload is done), which means you don't need to get the timing of the reset just right.
  • Select the port of your board from the Tools > Port menu. The port will be different when the bootloader is running so don't assume you already have the correct port selected.
  • Start an upload in the Arduino IDE.

The upload should now finish successfully. After this, you should be able to go back to doing normal uploads without needing to press the reset button. If you still need to do the reset trick to do uploads after this, the problem may be caused by your code. You can verify this by uploading a simple sketch like File > Examples > 01.Basics > BareMinimum.

Thanks for your help.

I did everything you wrote, got the pulsing LED, selected the port and tried to upload, however I still got the same error. I am trying to upload the Blink example by the way.

Update: I just tried in Windows and uploading works fine here...
And now it is working in Manjaro as well, very weird :o