Can't upload anything to homemade Severino S3V3

Hello!

This is my first post here, I hope this is the correct section. I've found posts of people with similar problems, but none of them was exactly like mine, and none of their solutions worked for me. First of all, the story:

I decided to build my own arduino board and found the severino on the official website(http://arduino.cc/it/Main/ArduinoBoardSerialSingleSided3 ); I built the thing, and for burning the bootloader onto the ATmega168 microcontroller I used a friend's Demilanove /w ATmega328. It completed the process successfully, I even burned a second microcontroller, an ATmega8 using the same procedure. So far so good.

Now:

I connected the external power supply: 9V battery; connected a Serial-to-VGA cable (my computer doesn't have a serial port, only vga...). Of course Power LED is on; LED 13 is blinking continuously, but Tx and Rx aren't blinking at all. The board doesn't appear under Device Manager, and even if it does as "Unknown device", the installation of drivers in impossible. Sometimes, when I connected it to the PC, LED 13 blinked very fast for about 5 seconds, but that was all. When I try to upload a sketch, AutoReset pins on Jumper 1 are not connected, and pins 2&3 on Jumper 0 are connected for serial communication. I tried pressing the Reset button in any combination, with no result.

I get the following message every time, no matter what I do: "Binary sketch size: 1026 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum) avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00"

I've tried anything I could find on the internet for the past 5 does anybody have any ideas of what could the problem be? I am very determined to complete this board, and that's not happening until the first sketch is uploaded... I'd appreciate any help.

System configuration: Windows 7 32bits Arduino 1.0 software Only VGA port, no serial

If you need any other information, I will provide them as soon as I get home. Thanks in advance!

(deleted)

I was kind of hoping that a Serial-to-VGA cable would do the trick, but I think you are right. First thing tomorrow, I'll get a USB-to-Serial converter, and try it, maybe it will work. I'll reply with the result as soon as I try it. Thank you!

EDIT: tried with a Serial-to-USB adapter, and still the same thing as before. Tomorrow I'll give my board to a friend who has a serial port on his pc, and he will test it, hope this does it.