Ceramic Chip Antenna

Hello, I'm trying to create a wifi board for I special project.

I want to use a ceramic chip antenna because they are super small and have better range compared to pcb antenna.

However, a lot of them need space between them and the other components?

Is there some kind of antenna that does not need that space and can be right next to the other components to save space?

Thanks

All I am trying to do is find the best antenna that takes up the least amount of space.

Spring antennas stand up. So you save board space at a cost of significant extra height.

Just have a look how other components do it, e.g. the ESP07 modules.

techno_wiz54:
Is there some kind of antenna that does not need that space and can be right next to the other components to save space?

If you have stuff very close to any antenna it will absorb the radio frequency energy. With higher frequencies the effect is more pronounced.

If you want long range then give your antenna lots of space.

...R

What frequency are you looking to use?
This link is a good introduction.

As Scotty from Star treck would say You cannet change the laws of physics laddy.

techno_wiz54:
I want to use a ceramic chip antenna because they are super small and have better range compared to pcb antenna.

The Texas instruments application note pointed to by @Grumpy_Mike suggests that in terms of radiated power PCB antennas (properly designed presumably) are more efficient than ceramic chip ones.

Thanks for responses...

However, I am still confused.

Is there any type of antenna I can place on my board that will consume less space than having a pcb antenna or 3d antenna?

The frequency is 2.4GHz.

Thanks

Also, is it true that pcb antennas have better range than ceramic chip antennas?

What about this?

Would this work?

https://www.molex.com/molex/products/datasheet.jsp?part=active/0479480001_ANTENNAS.xml

techno_wiz54:
What about this?

Would this work?

https://www.molex.com/molex/products/datasheet.jsp?part=active/0479480001_ANTENNAS.xml

What does the spec sheet say?
What is your application that needs a small antenna?
Remember the smaller the antenna the less efficient and range it will have?
Tom… :slight_smile:

I've successfully connected to ESP07S modules without antenna attached! Can't get smaller than that, and the range was limited to a few meters.

When it comes to antennas, as a rule of thumb bigger is better (as long as the antenna itself is designed for that frequency). That molex thing will no doubt work, but range will of course be limited.

Why still confused? Get a few antennas, build a few different PCBs, and see what works best for you. Carefully read the data sheets of the respective antennas, as the placement on the PCB matters. In case of PCB antennas I know you should not have ANY copper (traces, pour) under it. Bluetooth modules even recommend not having PCB material under it.

A clever engineer might use one of the interconnect wires as an antenna. Such as the + power wire.

Paul

techno_wiz54:
Is there any type of antenna I can place on my board that will consume less space than having a pcb antenna or 3d antenna?

The frequency is 2.4GHz.

Let's back up a bit for a moment.

What wireless device are you planning to use?

Are you planning to buy a module with the wireless chip already installed on a PCB? They usually include an antenna, so I don't understand your "I can place on my board" - because the antenna will already be part of the module.

Conversely, if you have the competence to design and build your own PCB for a 2.4GHz wireless chip I would expect that competence to include a great deal of knowledge about antennas.

You can get ESP8266 WiFi modules with both PCB and ceramic antennas.

I have not seen an nRF24L01+ module with a ceramic antenna but I have sawed the PCB antenna off some nRF24L01+ modules and attached a short piece of wire as an antenna. I have only needed these for short range radio control so I have no idea how my modification would affect the range.

...R