Charge and using Li-Po battery at same time! (like phones)

Im making a solar phone charger and a lipo holds charge.
I got this and this chargers, and i also have This boost circuits + this! but how can i charge AND drain or use the battery at same time? also i want it to charge device (no matter if it does at a lower current) when the battery ends!

just like the adafruit circuit, sadly i can't accesses adafruit and i also like to learn it myself!
i mean just like phones internal battery, you can still use it while you have connected it to power, so it charges and you can use your phone at same time ! for my case it only makes it discharge slower, or even makes my phone charge at slower rate!

its kinda a clone of this! as you see you can connect a powersupply (in my case a panel) and a battery and a phone output!

edit: 14 reads no answers ?:frowning: is my thread bad? should i edit it?!

The TP4056 chip mentioned in one (both?) of those chargers seems to assume its
a fixed charging cycle, so it may not behave quite as you want - if it thinks the battery
is charged it changes mode - whether it comes out of that mode automatically
when the battery is being discharged I don't know.

Datasheet here: http://dlnmh9ip6v2uc.cloudfront.net/datasheets/Prototyping/TP4056.pdf

This review says it starts charging again if the battery voltage drops below 4.0V.

notapantsday:
This review says it starts charging again if the battery voltage drops below 4.0V.

so, what should i do now? is there anyway i can make it with those parts?

so, this isn't safe ? :open_mouth:

why nobody answers :(?

kamhagh:
why nobody answers :(?

But they did!

Your 3.3V Arduino will (very) happily operate at 4 or 5 volts - but you might have to disconnect the internal regulator.

Your charger will assume the battery (single cell) is more difficult to charge, but may simply not fully charge the battery if the Arduino load is heavy however it will charge it up to well over 90% so it will not really matter.

There is little more to ask.

Paul__B:
But they did!

Your 3.3V Arduino will (very) happily operate at 4 or 5 volts - but you might have to disconnect the internal regulator.

Your charger will assume the battery (single cell) is more difficult to charge, but may simply not fully charge the battery if the Arduino load is heavy however it will charge it up to well over 90% so it will not really matter.

There is little more to ask.

they only told me charger starts charging at 4.0v again !
and im not powering an arduino, im powering a phone! if i can do it, what should do? i mean how should i connect them , in what order?!!!

and was the indestructables link i gave safe?

im total noob at Lipo! :expressionless: im not sure if even the charger is compatible ! it was the only charger available in my country !

The TP4056 chip mentioned in one (both?) of those chargers seems to assume its
a fixed charging cycle سئو سایت

Use the newer version of TP4056. It has pass through charging feature that charges the battery while separately powering your load. Even if the battery is fully charged the charger will not use battery unless input is disconnected or below min voltage.

Just make sure you connect your load only to the OUT+ and OUT- terminals and battery to B+ nad B-.

Noobian:
Use the newer version of TP4056.

Do you actually mean you are using a different (newer) version of a charging board that just happens to use the standard TP4056 IC ?

Or are you saying that the TP4056 IC itself has specific versions with different capabilities ?

I meant newer version of that board. The board is usually known as TP4056 in ebay since it has no model number/name of it's own.

Julian Ilett has done a video review for it.

Noobian:
Use the newer version of TP4056. It has pass through charging feature that charges the battery while separately powering your load. Even if the battery is fully charged the charger will not use battery unless input is disconnected or below min voltage.

The low voltage cut-off is way too low, 2.4V.

The battery may go so low that the charger wont ever start.

The charger may continue to charge the battery whn its reached full charge.

srnet:
The low voltage cut-off is way too low, 2.4V.

The battery may go so low that the charger wont ever start.

The charger may continue to charge the battery whn its reached full charge.

OP should stick with protected cells since he obviously isn't very familiar with lithium batteries.

He could alternatively use a USB powerbank module instead which also has a boost function built in along with charging using a FM6316FE chip . Bigclive has a video on them

Noobian:

Just make sure you connect your load only to the OUT+ and OUT- terminals and battery to B+ nad B-.

That’s not a load switch, it’s a battery protection IC just like lithium batteries usually have built into them. It’s so you can use that module with unprotected cells.

1 Like