Class 1 bluetooth module?

Can anybody recommend an inexpensive class 1 bluetooth module for use with Arduino please? Ideally with remote sketch upload facility? (I.e. something to connect to the reset pin in addition to Rx & Tx.)

There are plenty of cheap class 2 modules on eBay, but my project will need the extra range class 1 offers. There are plenty of class 1 usb pc dongles, and they don't cost much more than class 2 ones.

Thanks,

Paul

Ok, forget the "inexpensive", can anyone recommend any class 1 device?

Cheers,

Paul

PaulRB:
Ideally with remote sketch upload facility? (I.e. something to connect to the reset pin in addition to Rx & Tx.)

I think you should research this a bit more diligently. I understand uploading a sketch via bluetooth involves a lot more than just tickling the reset pin, and is not for the faint-hearted.

Nick_Pyner:
I think you should research this a bit more diligently. I understand uploading a sketch via bluetooth involves a lot more than just tickling the reset pin, and is not for the faint-hearted.

Thanks for the response Nick. I'm sure you are right about it not being easy, these things never are. The devil is in the details. But ultimately you want the bt modules at both ends to form a virtual serial line. Treating that as a "black box" and assuming everything is configured the right way, I understand it should be as simple as connecting reset, rx and tx?

I found one: Bluetooth Modem - BlueSMiRF Gold - WRL-10268 - SparkFun Electronics

I know I said forget the price, but.... ouch!

I think you are missing the point.

I am alluding to your post about uploading a sketch via bluetooth, and the problems associated with that.

This has nothing to do with the class of bluetooth, or the price.

The most difficult thing about bluetooth is probably the coming to terms with how easy it is, but this only applies to bluetooth's intended purpose, namely the transfer of data and commands.

So I should forget it then. Fair enough. Thanks again for replying.

PaulRB:
So I should forget it then.

Not necessarily but I think the first thing you should consider is why on earth you would want to do such a thing. It's certainly beyond me. However, you may find that you can do what you have in mind by manually calling a subroutine via bluetooth. I imagine that would just be an ordinary Serial.read command.

Nick_Pyner:
why on earth you would want to do such a thing. It's certainly beyond me.

I'm attempting to build a weather station, and I'm considering the options for wirelessly connecting the outdoor (sensor) circuits with the indoor (display) circuits. Other options could be WiFi or other RF modules. The sensors need to be outdoors (wind, rain, etc), for me to test them, but I'd much prefer to be indoors while I'm debugging! Hence remote sketch upload would be so valuable, avoiding going out and getting cold/wet every time I need to adjust the sketch.

Nick_Pyner:
However, you may find that you can do what you have in mind by manually calling a subroutine via bluetooth. I imagine that would just be an ordinary Serial.read command.

So are you suggesting I could send a command code to the remote Arduino, and my sketch would pick up this code and force a reset by software, which I would then quickly follow up with a program upload?

One thing to consider is Bitlash. Bitlash is a command interpreter. So rather than reprogramming the Arduino (with all the the perils that entails), you can just send a new script using any convenient interface and protocol and your Arduino will start interpreting the new code.

Bitlash is slow, but, I imagine that response time of milliseconds rather than microseconds is okay when it comes to weather monitoring. You might need a few hard-coded routines (reading sensors) that Bitlash may not support, but those should have to change almost never.

PaulRB:
I'd much prefer to be indoors while I'm debugging!

I had wondered if a ladder had something to do with it

So are you suggesting I could send a command code to the remote Arduino, and my sketch would pick up this code and force a reset by software, which I would then quickly follow up with a program upload?

No. Merely that you could activate a pre-existing subroutine. I don't suppose that helps much. It might, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort anyway.

I believe your problem is the same no matter what communication you use - bluetooth, WiFi, 2.4 Ghz, you name it, anything other than the USB cable.

I also believe you don't really have a problem. I recognise that you have miserable weather over there, and it is only going to get worse, but you should be able to prove-up your gear in the comfort of your own kitchen, certainly as far as the software goes. Climate is climate - be it indoors or out.

tylernt:
I imagine that response time of milliseconds rather than microseconds is okay when it comes to weather monitoring.

Thanks for the suggestion. With the sensors I plan to use initially, you are right about the millisecond timing. However, once its up and running, I want to experiment in the future with other sensor designs, like using ultrasonics for wind speed & direction, and that may need microsecond timing.

Also, having started my microcontroller learning on Picaxe, which runs a semi-compiled/semi-interpreted BASIC, the speed of Arduino/compiled C is still an amazing novelty to me. Don't get me wrong, Picaxe is fast enough for most things, and arguably easier than Arduino to learn from scratch.

Nick_Pyner:
I believe your problem is the same no matter what communication you use - bluetooth, WiFi, 2.4 Ghz, you name it, anything other than the USB cable.

This seems like the best option I've found so far:

http://shop.ciseco.co.uk/erf-0-1-pin-spaced-radio-module/

or

http://shop.ciseco.co.uk/rf-328-arduino-atmega-328-compatible-radio-transceiver-rfu-328/

and

http://shop.ciseco.co.uk/srf-stick-868-915-mhz-easy-to-use-usb-radio/

Plus I've pre-ordered one of these:

https://www.sparkdevices.com/

OK, very interesting, so what do they offer you that a $7 bluetooth module (or two) doesn't?
I'm not sure what your intentions are but I suspect you could be merely moving the problem (if you really have one) rather than solving it.

You seem to have forgotten the NRF24 transceiver. I have not yet used mine as bluetooth suffices for local reading but they are pretty well-supported around here and the high power version is only about $10.

Thanks Nick, I'll investigate nrf24...

How about this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/nRF24LU1-nRF24L01-Serial-Wireless-Programmer-Module-Kits-/271230451194?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f26983dfa

That link suggests the world has moved on quite a bit since the original stuff came from maniacbug

http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/Nrf24L01-2.4GHz-HowTo

and also suggests you can programme wirelessly with it. I suspect it won't be as simple as it sounds, but this is well outside my experience, or needs. I just take occasional local reads with a cheapo bluetooth onto a phone while it would appear you are looking for a permanent display on Arduino. I suggest you carefully check that that kit will ultimately do what you want it to do. I suspect it doesn't but something similar will.

You have not mentioned how you intend to power the remote gear. I understand the NRF24 has extremely low power consumption in stand-by, which could prove useful.