Communication Between Arduinos

I've always wanted for two arduinos to communicate with each other, but I never found a good, non expensive way to do it. I've heard of nRF24L01+ 2.4GHz transceivers, RF receivers/transmitters, and radio(FM, AM). I'm not sure what to use because all have their ups and downs. RF only has on/off capabilities, nRF24L01+ is a bit complicated (maybe some help?), and radio is expensive.

Why not use 433 MHz transceivers? You can get a pair from eBay for less than $10 and they work rather well.

Cool idea, but I have no idea on how they work. Could you explain a bit?

My way: http://www.hackster.io/rayburne/hoperf-springs-eternal

Ray

Eric_Mai: Cool idea, but I have no idea on how they work. Could you explain a bit?

You can do something as simple as setting the transfer pin to HIGH or LOW for a specific duration (e.g. to send binary data or other formats), but there are loads of tutorials for 433MHz transceivers and Arduino in Google.

One way comm's: use VirtualWire library to send Manchester-encoded packets of up to 27 bytes at a time between devices.

Do you think the transfer speed would be fast enough for audio? Or even if the Arduino is fast enough to handle audio?