Compiler hangs, no error msg.

I was making a few changes to a sketch that had previously been compiled & uploaded. Was adding another feature. Code looked clean, but running a check compile the compiler hangs appropriately an eighth of the way through. The sketch previously complied in under 3 minutes. no progress even after 10 minutes now.
Can anyone shed some light as to what might cause this?

Maybe if you post the sketch. Otherwise to say it would be guesswork, would be an understatement.

How to use this forum

Like Nick says, without seeing your code all we can do is guess.
My guess is that when you edited the code, you created either an unterminated /* ... */ comment
or an unterminated string constant " ... ". Either of those usually hangs the preprocessor.
e.g.

/* Here's my unterminated comment
void setup(void)
{
}

void loop(void)
{
}

In Windows, if you start the task manager, there will be a javaw.exe process that is hung. Killing that process should close the Arduino IDE and you can then start it up again, fix the code and recompile.

Pete

I think it's that line right there doing it.

Much thanks el_supremo you nailed it, found a missing " .
Has anyone considered making a fix to trap such an error?

And was it on the line I told you about :slight_smile:

bobc896:
Much thanks el_supremo you nailed it, found a missing " .
Has anyone considered making a fix to trap such an error?

Absolutely. I’ll raise a bug report on the developers’ bug list. Oh, wait, I can’t because you haven’t posted your code.

I was making a few changes to a sketch that had previously been compiled & uploaded.

What sketch?

Was adding another feature.

What feature?

Code looked clean,

However that’s a secret I’m not prepared to share with you guys.

but running a check compile the compiler hangs appropriately an eighth of the way through.

An eighth of the way, eh? How do you know that?