Computer vision and Arduino

Hi all, Anyone can help me the direction of using openCV with arduino?
What I want to achieve is a simple robot which use openCV for tracking face and follow us using Arduino 2560. But my problem is I do not know what hardware requirement are and how to use openCV with Arduino. Searched on Internet but still not sure :slight_smile:

Do you have instalated the Pyserial librery?

Well I dont and what is that library for anyway? It''s my first time hearing it :slight_smile:

Shearch in google Pyserial librery and download the library, after go to arduino and install the library in "library".

I didn't think OpenCV could run on an Arduino. Can it?

Hi all, Anyone can help me the direction of using openCV with arduino?

I think openCV runs on a computer, so you will probably need to develop a computer application that interfaces with openCV and then communicates with the arduino.

zoomkat:
I think openCV runs on a computer, so you will probably need to develop a computer application that interfaces with openCV and then communicates with the arduino.

This is my understanding of how OpenCV works as well.

DuaneDegn:
This is my understanding of how OpenCV works as well.

The whole thing about PySerial is that Python has a really good wrapper for OpenCV (so you don't need to code in C/C++ on the PC to get it to work); so you install the library as well on both ends, and now Python can talk to the Arduino.

Another possibility would be to install Firmata on the Arduino - then use PySerial to communicate with that; that way, you don't have to do much or any work on the Arduino end (coding wise) - you can concentrate on the Python coding instead.

See here:

http://playground.arduino.cc/Interfacing/Python

--- what he say. Python OpenCV2 (or higher) on a proper computer, talk serial or web to Arduino.
On linux installing python-opencv package seems to be the simplest way to get opencv installed
too!

I keep meaning to try OpenCV3 now its been around a while and see how well it does - it endevours
to offload work to the GPU which ought to be a big win.

You can use OpenCV on PCDuino2/3 under Debian/Ubuntu.
Of course using Python.
Steps to Flash Ubuntu Images to pcDuino 1/2/3

Thank you for your replies, I will study you guys method and response as soon as I get one of them work :slight_smile: