Connect linear actuators to arduino.

I need to power two lineal actuators each one require 12 volts and consumes between 5 and 10 amperes depending on the weight it is charging. Therefore I bought a power supply of 12 volts and 10 amperes. (I added a photo of the power supply)

So I would like the use the same power supply to feed arduino(5 volts) and the lineal actuator(12 Volts).

I was thinking in send a logical signal to the output of the arduino and then this flag activates the power supply with Mosfet FQP30N06L and then feed the actuators with the 12V 10A power supply.

Also feed the arduino using Voltage Regulator connected to the 12V power supply to obtain the 5V.

I have added an image of the circuit I have done, I would like you to tell me if it works, or I need to add or modify something.

Thanks for your answer.

So far your logic has the actuators moving in one direction, only, forever. Is this what you want?

Paul

Motors are electrically extremely noisy, so it is much safer and easier to power the Arduino separately. However, you could use a 5V buck converter to step 12V down to 5V.

For bidirectional control of 5-10A 12V linear actuators, I use and am very happy with this motor driver module. Whatever driver you choose MUST be able to handle the stall current of the actuator, which can be 5-10X the unloaded running current.

Paul_KD7HB:
So far your logic has the actuators moving in one direction, only, forever. Is this what you want?

Paul

Hi Paul, Thanks for your answer,

What I want is to send to the arduino a signal indicating if I want to move the lineal actuator up or down, and at the ouptut have a logical signal to move the two actuators in the given direction.

Yes I see What you say, In this case It only goes up, I'm starting doing the design, I need to check how to go in both directions, Any idea?

Best Regards.

jremington:
Motors are electrically extremely noisy, so it is much safer and easier to power the Arduino separately. However, you could use a 5V buck converter to step 12V down to 5V.

For bidirectional control of 5-10A 12V linear actuators, I use and am very happy with this motor driver module. Whatever driver you choose MUST be able to handle the stall current of the actuator, which can be 5-10X the unloaded running current.

• I would like to use the same power supply to only have one, the way that I try in the circuit is not ok? does not work?

• For the bidirectional I would like to do it from scratch I want the project to be economical, only the arduino as shield.

Thanks jremington !!

I want the project to be economical

Then use relays to control the actuators.

only the arduino as shield

Not possible.

Your schematic is wrong. Here is how you can use a MOSFET to move the actuator but only in one direction.

jremington:
Then use relays to control the actuators.
Not possible.

• I feel comfortable with mosfet since this is an electronic part more than mechanical, also because of the noise of the relays.

• I don't understand why is not possible do it with arduino What is the problem in my circuit with the way Im feeding the circuit?

Thnks

Best Regards.

I feel comfortable with mosfet

But you clearly don't understand how they work. See edited post above.

Hi guys, I have changed my schematic I see the errors in the connections,

This is how it looks now. It is ok?

Thanks all of you :slight_smile: @jremington @Paul_KD7HB

Reference:
http://bildr.org/2011/03/high-power-control-with-arduino-and-tip120/

The schematic is still wrong. You need a gate resistor in series with the output pin.

How will you make the actuators retract?

jremington:
The schematic is still wrong. You need a gate resistor in series with the output pin.

How will you make the actuators retract?

Thanks jremington,

• I have added the gate resistor and the capacitors for the lineal actuators. It is okay now?

• I still don’t know how I’m going to retract the actuators, I need to check that:

I was thinking in use two outputs in the arduino one to go up, and the other output to go down, and maybe also another mosfet one for each arduino output, and then connect the two mosfets to the lineal actuators, I really don’t know if it could work, or could be interferences with the wiring.

I will do the design and I will post it.

Thanks

Stop calling it lineal.

Google "H-bridge".
Leo..

Wawa:
Stop calling it lineal.

Google "H-bridge".
Leo..

Hello Wawa!!

What do you refer with the phrase 'Stop calling it lineal' ?

Ok I will google it,

Best Regards!
Thnx

wannacoder:
What do you refer with the phrase ‘Stop calling it lineal’ ?

lineaR

Wawa:
lineaR

Hehe oks u are right :slight_smile:

• I have found cheap motor drivers, like TB6612FNG but on the specifications it says that the TB6612FNG output current is Iout=1.2A(average) / 3.2A (peak).

• The other that I found is L298N , it says the peak output current per channel is 2A.

That means I can't reach the levels of current that I need to feed the linear actuators?, or it does not affect since I am using my power supply of 12V and 10A?

Here is the example I found,

Thanks.

Your driver needs to be handle the motor current, over and above the fact that the power supply must be able to supply that in the first place.

The L298 is very wasteful of energy: under low load it throws away almost 2 of your supplied volts, and as current rises that loss is almost 5V. That loss manifests as P=VI heat, hence the need for a heatsink the size of a Mack Truck radiator.

From the L298 datasheet:

298 volt drop.GIF

Have a look here for example to see if you can find a modern driver that matches your voltage and current needs.

meltDown:
Your driver needs to be handle the motor current, over and above the fact that the power supply must be able to supply that in the first place.

The L298 is very wasteful of energy: under low load it throws away almost 2 of your supplied volts, and as current rises that loss is almost 5V. That loss manifests as P=VI heat, hence the need for a heatsink the size of a Mack Truck radiator.

From the L298 datasheet:

298 volt drop.GIF

Have a look here for example to see if you can find a modern driver that matches your voltage and current needs.

Hi meltDown,

Ok thanks, Now I understand that the driver must be able to deliver the current and voltage that my linear actuator needs.

I wonder if the driver can deliver a high output current as indicated by the driver’s specifications, or is it restricted by the current that the source grants in my case 12V and 10A, or does the driver amplify the current even if it receives a smaller amount and then can reach the max current that the actuators need(if it would be greater than 10A) ?

Regards!

Now I think that It is Maybe Worth to buy a Dual Motor H-Brige PWM Controller to control my two linear actuators, than do it on my own? Talking of effort and economically.

I want to control the distance(by programming) and the direction they move,

What driver or controller do you recommend since I am using arduino?

And since My power supply is of 10A I suppose the drive should be of 10A,

Can you give me an economical and good option, or the worth option for you, or both :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks a lot

Best Regards.

See reply #2.