Connecting LCD keyboardShield too Arduino Uno To Display Text

Hello Everyone! I’m new to the world of coding and language. Simple problem. Hopefully simple fix
I have an arduino Uno, and The LCD KEyboard Shield.
Apparently, getting text to display on it is suppose to be as simple as plugging the lcd into the Uno, and then verifying/uploading through the program. The problem is, when I have my LCD plugged into my uno, and upload the code, nothing changes on the screen…

What I am trying to simply do, is have my lcd display the message (“Hello M.I.A”) and it wont do that

LCDShieldArduino2_1427563493.jpg

075b5ad2688fde7338700c04738c4cc0def6152f.jpg
Have you read the warning?

Have you read the instructions for posting requests for help?

Have you followed the procedure for adjusting the contrast potentiometer?

After you have read reply #1 - again - I think the most likely problem is your pin connections as called in the code. The usual code examples are for a bare 16x2 display and the pins on the shield are probably in a different order.

A typical example is LiquidCrystal lcd(12, 11, 5, 4, 3, 2);

while I had to use LiquidCrystal lcd(8,9,4,5,6,7);

With a bare display, you can wire it how you like, so long as the pin call reflects it. With a shield, you don't normally have a choice, and the pin call still has to be right.

while I had to use LiquidCrystal lcd(8,9,4,5,6,7);

. . . which is clearly spelled out near the beginning of the 'Wiki Doc' link on the DFRobot page.

This means that Paul should also have included the question: "Did you follow the manufacturer's documentation?".

Don

floresta: This means that Paul should also have included the question: "Did you follow the manufacturer's documentation?".

:grinning: :grinning:

"When all else fails" ...