Controlling an LED Strip with Arduino: Example Code and Wiring?

I'm working on a project that involves controlling an LED strip using an Arduino board, and I'm seeking guidance on the wiring and example code to achieve this. Specifically, I have an SK6812 addressable LED strip, and I want to connect it to an Arduino Uno board.

Could someone provide me with a clear wiring diagram that showcases the proper connections between the LED strip and the Arduino Uno? Additionally, I would greatly appreciate it if someone could provide example code that demonstrates how to control the LED strip's colors and effects using the Arduino programming language.

I'm relatively new to working with LED strips and Arduino, so detailed instructions and explanations would be very helpful. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Why would you buy something without first doing research on how that something works or what’s needed to make it work ?

:thinking:

Read through this discussion.

Wiring the SK6812 LED strip to an Arduino Uno is relatively straightforward. The SK6812 LED strip consists of individually addressable RGB LEDs, and it requires only one data line for communication.

Here's a wiring diagram that showcases the proper connections between the SK6812 LED strip and the Arduino Uno:
Arduino Uno SK6812 LED Strip GND -> GND 5V -> 5V D6 (or any digital pin) -> Data
Connect the GND pin of the Arduino Uno to the GND pin of the SK6812 LED strip. Connect the 5V pin of the Arduino Uno to the 5V pin of the LED strip. Finally, connect a digital pin (in this example, D6) of the Arduino Uno to the Data pin of the LED strip.

Now, let's move on to the example code. The code below demonstrates how to control the colors and effects of the SK6812 LED strip using the FastLED library, which provides easy-to-use functions for working with addressable LED strips.

First, you'll need to install the FastLED library in your Arduino IDE by going to "Sketch" -> "Include Library" -> "Manage Libraries" and searching for "FastLED".
`#include <FastLED.h>

#define DATA_PIN 6
#define NUM_LEDS 10

CRGB leds[NUM_LEDS];

void setup() {
FastLED.addLeds<NEOPIXEL, DATA_PIN>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
}

void loop() {
// Set all LEDs to red
fill_solid(leds, NUM_LEDS, CRGB::Red);
FastLED.show();
delay(1000);

// Set all LEDs to green
fill_solid(leds, NUM_LEDS, CRGB::Green);
FastLED.show();
delay(1000);

// Set all LEDs to blue
fill_solid(leds, NUM_LEDS, CRGB::Blue);
FastLED.show();
delay(1000);
} In this example, we include the FastLED library and define the data pin (DATA_PIN) that is connected to the Arduino Uno, as well as the number of LEDs (NUM_LEDS`) in your strip.

In the setup() function, we initialize the FastLED library to work with the SK6812 LED strip using the addLeds<NEOPIXEL, DATA_PIN>(leds, NUM_LEDS) function.

In the loop() function, we demonstrate three simple color effects. Firstly, we set all LEDs to red using fill_solid(), then we display the colors on the LED strip using FastLED.show() and introduce a delay of 1 second. We repeat the process for green and blue colors.

You can modify this code to create various patterns and effects with the SK6812 LED strip by referring to the FastLED library documentation and exploring its capabilities.

Remember to adjust NUM_LEDS to match the number of LEDs in your specific SK6812 LED strip.

Hello, @jimsen

Just hoping to lend a hand...

That one line is not easily seen as a diagram... for me...

Be sure to format your code examples:

#include <FastLED.h>

#define DATA_PIN 6
#define NUM_LEDS 10

CRGB leds[NUM_LEDS];

void setup() {
  FastLED.addLeds<NEOPIXEL, DATA_PIN>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
}

void loop() {
  // Set all LEDs to red
  fill_solid(leds, NUM_LEDS, CRGB::Red);
  FastLED.show();
  delay(1000);

// Set all LEDs to green
  fill_solid(leds, NUM_LEDS, CRGB::Green);
  FastLED.show();
  delay(1000);

// Set all LEDs to blue
  fill_solid(leds, NUM_LEDS, CRGB::Blue);
  FastLED.show();
  delay(1000);
}

Try to keep text outside of the "tics" or the sentence will run off the page to the right'

Hi, @jimsen
Welcome to the forum.

Thanks.. Tom.. :grinning: :+1: :coffee: :australia:

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.