crystal or not?

i have tried to search online for this item without any success.
can y'all tell me if this is indeed a crystal at 16.588 MHz?
if so, being that the 328P can use 16 or 20 crystals, will this one work for stand alone chip with caps?

aes92000:
i have tried to search online for this item without any success.
can y'all tell me if this is indeed a crystal at 16.588 MHz?

Seems quite likely.

if so, being that the 328P can use 16 or 20 crystals, will this one work for stand alone chip with caps?

Difficult to say from a picture. A datasheet would be required. Different crystals have different resonant modes and other characteristics, the frequency is not the only (or even the most) critical item.

However, Arduino works best with clock speeds that are a power of two, i.e. 16, 8, 4, 2, 1MHz, etc. Speeds in between will cause millis(), micros() and delay() to be inaccurate. But, several people have made adaptations for 20MHz so I suppose anything is possible.

First thing would be to just try it. No harm there, it'll either work or not. Of course, without a datasheet, it's impossible to say what the loading capacitor values should be.

The big question is why bother. Just get a proper 16MHz crystal. Five of 'em can be had for a buck here. Smaller package too :smiley:

well, i have some 16MHz already but i was demoing some boards and was curious to add to stock pile or toss.
im not concerned about timing on project...yet.

thanx for reply and explination.