Dali Master

Hi,

i've found a Dali Master Code for the Arduino, but i'm not able to get it work with an dali click board (dali slave).

The code: https://github.com/edinburghhacklab/dali

dali click board schematic: http://www.mikroe.com/downloads/get/1936/dali_click_manual.pdf

My connection:

I couldn't figure out the right "TE_Low / High" value. I've tried manually from 360 to 410 and nothing works.

const int TE_LOW = ?;
const int TE_HIGH = ?;

@ nid69ita

in my opinion to get the serial work rx > tx (slave) and the other way round. "Used for communication between the Arduino board and a computer or other devices."

hey, a bit late and therefor not sure if you've figured it out yet but to get it to work you should not connect the board to pin 0 and pin 1 since these are the serial pins which are already in use for the serial half of the serial to Dali bridge

use either the pins specified in the original sketch or basically any pin other than 0 and 1 I got it to work with the following. const int DALI_TX = 8; const int DALI_RX = 2;

besides that you probably should not mess with those TE_LOW and high values since these are (more or less fixed) constants specified by the Dali protocol

I got the standard sketch to work with a diy dalishield, the communication was recognized by this tridonic dali usb thing..

Hello, I am about to buy a DALI click board but have the following questions to make sure it fulfills my need:

1) Will the DALI click be able to control the brightness of my lamps connected to a DALI compatible ballast if I send the DALI commands using my arduino and the above code.

2) If I am to send the DALI commands from my arduino, what should be the format of the commands sent to the Rx of the DALI click.

3) Will my arduino board manchester encode my commands or will the DALI click board by default encode my DALI commands.

I wonder why I get the feeling that it would make more sense to ask those questions of the people who make/sell the DALI click board (whatever that is)?

...R

Robin2: I wonder why I get the feeling that it would make more sense to ask those questions of the people who make/sell the DALI click board (whatever that is)?

...R

By Dali Master, I imagined a painting of a melting clock... :~

I did ask this question to the manufacturers of DALI click and to many other forums but they were all unable to answer.

I just want to know if DALI click and arduino with the above given code can be interfaced together to control my digitally addressable ballasts !!!

Punit7: I did ask this question to the manufacturers of DALI click and to many other forums but they were all unable to answer.

Sounds like you will have to take on the role of doing the experiment - if you can afford it.

...R

Berry_nijs: use either the pins specified in the original sketch or basically any pin other than 0 and 1 I got it to work with the following. const int DALI_TX = 8; const int DALI_RX = 2;

besides that you probably should not mess with those TE_LOW and high values since these are (more or less fixed) constants specified by the Dali protocol

I got the standard sketch to work with a diy dalishield, the communication was recognized by this tridonic dali usb thing..

Hey Berry_nijs, hey all :)

I just connected a DALI click board to my arduino and connected the dali port to a philips xitanium ballast which drives a LED-panel

I tried the code above (the TE values are used to "achieve" the 1200 BAUD communication I guess) I use arduino pins 6 and 8 the RX LED on the click board lights as soon as the the arduino is running with the sketch if I send something like 0000000000000000 I get an OK and the RX LED is slightly (nearly invisibly) darker than without sending something, but nothing happens at all

all I try to do is dimming the ballast using the arduino. Is there something I'm missing? I also don't know what exact command I should use. In a tech/app note I found this:

Example No.1 Switching off the lamps connected to the DALI device without fading, we can accomplish with the following command (forward frame): 0000 0110 1111 1111 0000 0000 (binary) 6 255 0 (decimal) 06 FF 00 (hex) First byte has value 6 (0x06) (send 16-bit DALI sequence) Second byte is YAAA AAAS Y=1 AAAAAA=111111 (broadcast address) S=1 (command following) Third byte is 0 (0x00) value, switch off the lamps This is not querry command, so there is no slave answer (there is no backward frame).

sending 000001101111111100000000 with the serial monitor results in an "OK" from the sketch, but nothing happens. :(

thanks for any help!

arg! of course, DALI bus needs a power source, around 16V and max 250mA -_- (who invented that DALI crap, lol)

The problem is: I have a Xitanium ballast and a 50W LED panel and need to dim it using a microcontroller (arduino) I have nothing beside that. Does this mean that I can NOT use DALI to control the ballast?

and another posting

I kicked the dali click board away and got me a small lab PSU, a 20 ohms resistor, an optocoupler and a transistor and connected all of that to the dali ballast

sending something with the sketch now works, the voltage on the dali bus clearly breaks down and I see a neat transmission
but what do I actually send with the sketch?
I have to enter and send 48 digits to trigger the send on the bus
but what exactly?
I tried zeros, different things I found but nothing causes the ballast to react …

The problem you have is that everything you need to know is contained within a number of IEC standards:

IEC-62386 http://www.dali-ag.org/discover-dali/dali-standard.html

They aren't cheap.

I've read them all pretty much cover to cover, if you don't want to individually address fittings then you just need to send DALI broadcast commands, basically you just need to find out how to send an ARCPOWER command to the broadcast device (00 if i recall correctly). This means all devices on the line will respond.

Arc Power refers to the current utilised to send the high frequency signal down the fluorescent tube, so it is subject to a logarithmic curve, which for a Xitanium fluo ballast is fine, but for LED drivers, you may need to send the advanced command to use a linear curve response, otherwise you will get a poor response across most of the range and a much larger response at the other end of the dim range.

This linear response is a retro-fix for using fluorescent specific terminology in the fundamental core of the commands, but it does the job.

I did find this in my notes: DIRECT ARC POWER YAAA AAA0 XXXX XXXX XXXXXXXX is the Dim level 0-255. 0 = OFF, 255 = MASK / Stop fading. Anything else is a dim level.

AAA AAA is the address, you want to broadcast, which is almost certainly 000 000 or 111 111,

Y I cant remember I'm afraid, experiment.

Wish I could help more

I've just looked in here: http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/01465A.pdf

and this is the correct packwt to send for a broadcast dim value.

1111 1110 0000 0000 = Broadcast OFF 1111 1110 1111 1111 = Broadcast Mask / Stop fading 1111 1110 0111 1111 = Broadcast Dim level 254

don't forget your start and stop bits.

Hello, can somebody explain to me how i can use the dali shield (the same on the photo, 1 post)

I downloaded the library from here (http://blog.perquin.com/wp-content/uploads/pq_Dali.zip) But I don't understand what pins I have to use.

Thx for help!

i've solved this problem, now can i send and receive, just play with tehigh/low

Hey guys! I'm trying to make a DALI slave with ARDUINO and i already have a MASTER USB DALI interface, i was wondering if i buy this DALI click board and use with my Arduino along with this code (https://github.com/edinburghhacklab/dali) Will it will be recognized by my DALI master unit?

Thank you guys!

Is there anyone that have reached success with Arduino communicating via DALI (with or without DALI CLICK)?

turbosharp: Is there anyone that have reached success with Arduino communicating via DALI (with or without DALI CLICK)?

Hi all How can get the adress of few led fixture each of dali supply on board?

hi,

l want to use this library with arduino uno or mega. l am using an external circuit for dali bus (http://www.mouser.com/images/microsites/lighting-addresable-fig-05.png). l connect arduino's RX pin to Rx pin of this dali in teface circuit and arduino's Tx pin to Tx pin of this circuit. the dali bus line of this circuit connected to dali ballast.

l can transmit data to ballast and control ballast. but l dont receive any data.

how can l receive data from dali ballast with this library and circuit setup?

thanks for your help :)

Connect RX to TX and TX to RX. You do this because RX stands for receive and TX stands for transmit.