Designing my own five channel 4-20mA current loop

Hello!

I would like to add five 4-20mA current loops as outputs as a shield to my Arduino board to output some variable values. I found the "4-20mA T Click" shield which looks very nice but only has one current loop transmitter. So instead of getting 5 boards, I thought of putting together one with 5 current loop transmitters. The schematic for the "4-20mA T Click" is the following :

My idea would be to use only one ADuM1411 Quad-channel digital isolator and just use the same MCP4921 12-bit DAC and XTR116 4-20mA current loop transmitter circuits 5 times with the SPI channels connected between them.

My main doubt is if the ADuM1411 will be able to feed enough current to all 5 loops. Also, are there more things that I should take into consideration?

Thank you!

Quite possibly telling us why you need to do this? There may be other solutions.

I am making a prototype of a corrosion measuring device that measures temperature, humidity, relative pressure, and corrosion from 2 sensors a copper and a silver one. And I would like to try it in an industrial environment and PLCs for what I know works with this type of signal.

Arduino and industrial environment are not great bed fellows .

You need to look at the PLC you wish to use and see what the I/O options are, then spec up your system as to what sensors etc - you might end up using transducers which already have a 4-20mA , or a PLC that accepts a serial link for example.

You can also buy industrial voltage to current converters

1 Like

The current loop IC is not being "fed" current by the components that come before it in the signal chain.

The ADuM1411 controls the MCP4921 over SPI, so you could isolate 7 digital lines, viz:

SPI data
SPI clock

and 5 x CS/ chip select lines to select the MCP4921 you are controlling at the moment.

The ADuM1411 isolates the signal.

The MCP4921 does digital to analog conversion.

The XTR116 does voltage to current loop conversion.

HTH

a7

Ok, I think I get better at how the circuit works... So the XTR116 is "fed" by the current loop itself? And the voltage in the current loop can be any voltage between +7.5V and +36V if I understand correctly the datasheet for the XTR116.

So if I use a PLC with a 24Vdc loop, the XTR116 would have on one side Vref = 5V and the other side with VCC_iso = 24V?

So I understand this should work fine?

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.