Destroyed voltage regulator Arduino UNO

Hello everybody,

I connected a 12V battery to the Vin and it worked without any problems. I did not measured the voltage of the battery around that time. Later, I charged the battery using a battery charger (same I use for my motorcycle). After that I connected the battery again (and for a short moment shorted the plus/minus on my connected breadboard .. :drooling_face: ..). After this whole fiasco I measured the battery and it was 13Vdc.

Now the arduino is still running fine using the usb connection. But when I connect the battery it fails. The I2C display still lights up but it only lights up completely. Not displaying characters. If I connect a 9 volt power supply to Vin everything works fine also.

Also at one point I connected the battery while the arduino board was still connected to my laptop. After that immediately my laptop shut down (insert sweaty palms here). Luckily laptop still works :smiley: Won't do that again..

Anyway my limited experience with electronics says to me that the voltage regulator is busted. But (correct me if I am wrong) usually this stuff either works or it does not at all.

Anybody got some tips/hints or experience with this?

greetz Piet