device description in device manager

Hi all, I am new to arduino,here i have to change the name of the arduino device that appears in device manager to as i wish,how to do it.i tried changing the string parameter at arduino.inf,but not worked,please help me to get it.Thanks in advance. smiley

for example : if it is Arduino Uno(Com 24),i have to change it as ARDU(Com 24).

Change arduino.inf in the [Strings] section of the drivers folder, then go to the device manager and update the driver. When it prompts for automatic or select a location to get the driver, select a location and navigate to that folder and select the file you modified. When you select that arduino.inf file, it should show your new driver name.

I change the Mega2560 name because that is what I have. You should change these:

uno.name="Arduino Uno" unoR3.name="Arduino Uno"

Hi,
Thanks Tim,i tried it but it is not working ,it is coming as Arduino Uno (Com 24),not as changed.i am attaching my arduino.inf file here please specify any changes,i tested with both mega and uno boards.i have replaced the original arduino.inf file with new arduino.inf file which i have created,with same code,with changes in the [strings] part.because the original arduino.inf files access is denied.

arduino.inf (5.87 KB)

You've been asked before NOT TO CROSS-POST. Duplicate post deleted.

Edit: repeat duplicate post also deleted.

And see my signature? Don't also send me a personal message.

How to use this forum

i have replaced the original arduino.inf file with new arduino.inf file which i have created,with same code,with changes in the [strings] part.because the original arduino.inf files access is denied.

I had no problem changing mine. No access is denied or anything. It worked first try.

Thanks Tim, can you share your arduino.inf file.i am using arduino1.0.5 version,windows 7 -32 bit.

because the original arduino.inf files access is denied.

It doesn't matter what you try to change in a file that you can't access. You MUST address this problem first.

is there a way to do this without having to edit the driver inf file ?

Ie a customer install the usb device and it it sees it as 'Product1' in device manager

roshancheluva: Thanks Tim, can you share your arduino.inf file.i am using arduino1.0.5 version,windows 7 -32 bit.

roshancheluva: Hi, Thanks Tim,i tried it but it is not working ,it is coming as Arduino Uno (Com 24),not as changed.i am attaching my arduino.inf file here please specify any changes,i tested with both mega and uno boards.i have replaced the original arduino.inf file with new arduino.inf file which i have created,with same code,with changes in the [strings] part.because the original arduino.inf files access is denied.

Roshan g,

Did you ever get this to work? I tried the same thing and was unsuccessful.