Diode for relays

Hi gang,
Is 1N4001 a good all around diode for small 5V relay coils?

This one specifically
http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/TSC-105L3H,000/PB1017-ND/1095338

Thanks
Robert

Yes that is what I always use.

Thanks Mike.

Schottky diodes are preferred in flyback diode applications, because they have the lowest forward drop (~0.2 V rather than >0.7 V for low currents) and the fastest (but still “soft”) reverse voltage recovery.
Low-cost applications unconcerned with efficiency often use 1N4004, 1N4005 or 1N4007 power diodes as flyback diodes.

I’m using 1N5819 DIODE SCHOTTKY 40V 1A for this application, if already have 1N4001 then use it, if you have to buy then you may get schottky diodes like 1N5819.

Already placed my order with Mouser for 1N4001's. Maybe next time.

What matters is that the forward current rating of the diode is at least as high as the relay coil current, and the voltage rating is at least as high as the voltage across the coil. For relays I usually use 1N4148 (200mA continuous, 400mA peak). For solenoids, a larger diode is needed. In PWM applications, the diode may be conducting for a substantial part of the PWM cycle, so Schottky diodes are better especially at high current.

Low-cost applications unconcerned with efficiency often use 1N4004, 1N4005 or 1N4007 power diodes as flyback diodes.

I think if you were that much concerned with efficiency then you wouldn't use relays in the first place. I think it is an odd use of the word efficiency.

Likewise for drop out speed, if you are that concerned that it has to be that fast then again relays are not a good choice.