Discovering Xbee Modules

Hello,

I have just received my two xbee modules with an Xbee Shield and an Explorer Dongle. I have one xbee mounted to the explorer dongle and another mounted to the arduino and shield. However when I hit 'discover devices' only the explorer dongle appears. Is there something I am doing wrong with the shield?

Thanks,

XCTU software only recognizes XBees that are connected directly to the USB port (NOT through an Arduino), after all, that’s why you bought an explorer dongle :slight_smile: .

P.S. You don’t actually need a shield for the XBees if you have a dongle! Take a look at the attached image of one of my XBees. I soldered wires onto the explorer dongle that plug directly into the Arduino. Doing this saves time and money. Din is RX and Dout is TX.

Ah I see- So I just program one xbee at a time when I set things up?

For the project I have in mind I will need that shield but for the time being it won't be necessary I guess. Tomorrow I'll give things ago. Thanks for the help!

chummer1010: Ah I see- So I just program one xbee at a time when I set things up?

If you have two explorer dongles, you can program them both at the same time (if they are both plugged into your computer of course).

Power_Broker: If you have two explorer dongles, you can program them both at the same time (if they are both plugged into your computer of course).

I figured that but unfortunately I only have one dongle