Do 12V LED strips with individually addressable LEDs exist?

Hi Guys, I have been trying out some different addressable led strips.

I noticed all the 12V ones (at least what i can find) have the LEDs light up in groups of 3, not individually. You can tell when searching around ebay etc because they have one chip per 3 LEDs in the photo and the product description will never specifically say that each individual LED is addressable.

However i can find and have bought 5V strips that are addressable at a per LED level. The down side is the higher current they draw making powering them less practical. A 5 meter strip would require around 18 amps max where as a 12V strip requires allot less due to the higher voltage.

My questions is do 12V strips with individually addressable LEDs exist or are they just for what ever reason not a thing?

Cheers

My questions is do 12V strips with individually addressable LEDs exist or are they just for what ever reason not a thing?

They are not a thing.

This is because to get to 12V for the supply you need to have three LEDs in seriese and that means all three are all going to do the same thing. There is no point in burning off that power doing just one LED as you only need 5V for one, even so you have to burn off the excess between than and what the LEDs need.

jeffez:
The down side is the higher current they draw making powering them less practical. A 5 meter strip would require around 18 amps max where as a 12V strip requires allot less due to the higher voltage.

Less practical as in wire diameter, yes.

Supply size would be the same though.
12volt@5Amp is the same power as 5volt@12Amp.
Leo…

Grumpy_Mike: This is because to get to 12V for the supply you need to have three LEDs in seriese and that means all three are all going to do the same thing. There is no point in burning off that power doing just one LED as you only need 5V for one, even so you have to burn off the excess between than and what the LEDs need.

Makes sense, thanks.

Wawa: Supply size would be the same though. 12volt@5Amp is the same power as 5volt@12Amp.

Correct, the difficulty being the need for a higher current power supply. Now that i know 12V ones don't exist, i'm thinking of some sort of optimisations so that i can still get away with a smaller power supply.

A 12volt LED strip uses about the same power per LED as a 5volt strip. So a power supply for a 12volt/500LED strip is the same size one for a 5volt/500LED strip.

5volt/30Amp power supplies are less than US$20 shipped (ebay). So what is the problem. Leo..

Wawa: 5volt/30Amp power supplies are less than US$20 shipped (ebay). So what is the problem. Leo..

It's more a matter of wanting to stick with standard wall adaptor power supplies if i can. Also in another setup using 12V RGB strips i was running off a 12V battery bank which will most likely happen again for this one.

Did you consider a 12volt supply, and 12>5volt buck converters at the strip connections. Leo..

Wawa: Did you consider a 12volt supply, and 12>5volt buck converters at the strip connections. Leo..

For sure and that's what i will likely do. It was just a matter of ruling out 12V strips as an option as obviously the less parts the better.