Do you like the new forum?

Hello everyone!

As you can see, the forum got heavily renovated. Read this blog post for an overview: The Arduino Forum is now completely renovated (and it’s so nice)

Do you like the new forum? In case you find issues, just post them here!

4 Likes

Sorry but it is not nice, it seems to have been designed by someone who never did much actually answering of questions here.

I have not found a way to see the replies that were waiting to my existing posts.
My trust level is “Basic user” ! WTF with 60K posts and joined in 2008, you can do better than this.
It says I have generated 30K posts that is utter bull.
I tried a post with a quote of a question and the answer “Yes” and got told my posts would have to be longer than 20 characters and to try the Heart button. Lack of imagination there in the design.

Also quotes tagging the originator are automatically removed. Great we can’t identify the source of a quote.
So did any real users test this?

8 Likes

Copied from “Bar Sport”
I’m looking this new forum format.
I’m getting use to it.
BUT…
Why is the post text box only 1/2 to 2/3 the width of my screen when all I’m doing is reading someone’s post? (Where did underline go??)
I"m using a laptop, 15" not a SmartyPhone.
Down either side of the page is just blank unused space, what a waste!!!
I went the latest blog informing us of the update, I’m logged in but can’t reply, even though it says I am supposed to.
If I have to go t o Gitty Hub to voice my opinions/suggestions, I’m sorry but that stinks.
Where in this forum do I let the programmers know of how i feel and some suggestions?

Tom… :grinning: :+1: :coffee: :australia:
PS. Love the better emoji selection… :+1:
PPS. So much faster to

I think I have found it here… :+1: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

No users, including moderators, have had any say in how the new forum has been set up and apart from what may be generally available on the Web have no special knowledge of Discourse unless they have been involved with its implementation elsewhere

I would hope that feedback from users over time will be taken into account and should there be options to change page layouts etc then advantage may be taken of them

One thing that has been made clear is that the forum software will not be customised beyond the options that Discourse offers. This was done for the previous forum software (SMF) which made applying updates and fixes to it impossible

I am not sure whether it does exactly what you want but what do you see if you right click on your avatar ?

Only to a very limited extend as I understand it
Moderators were given access but due to a snafu somewhere along the line some of us could not access the test system for a period and I believe that some “real” users were also invited to take a look and provide feedback but I am not sure how many and what opportunity they had to look

1 Like

There is a quote above this that identifies you I suspect will be auto removed (EDIT no not this time) it said this:-

I am not sure whether it does exactly what you want but what do you see if you right click on your avatar ?

Yes I can see the new stuff but not those replies in waiting I had lined up before yesterday.

We did request more user testing but there were some issues with communication and the timescale was IMHO much to short to get any real feedback.

It was not for lack of trying to get involved trust me on that.

EDIT
I find the date bar highly distracting can we get it removed please.

My trust level is “Basic user” ! WTF with 60K posts and joined in 2008, you can do better than this.

I’m guessing that this refers to your administrative rights and not the quality of your posts here.
I’m just using this as a test of what you said about the quotes.

Edit. << would like to make this coloured
It is OK if you are replying to the post you are quoting from because you can elect to see that post inline (Load parent post)

I think the first time I tried the quote thing I did a copy from the post and then a paste in the reply. It was auto removed.
To get it to work I did a copy from the post and then hit the “quote” button that poped up.

Also there is no post count displayed beside the user. And no indication that a post has been edited. This was useful in seeing if someone had changed the post after you told them about something.

The new forum seems very much harder to use on my PC and impossible on my tablet.

It shows an orange pencil and an edit counter here for edits.

1 Like

And no indication that a post has been edited.

That is OK. There is a number by the pen / pencil symbol with a date stamp “tool tip”

Not seeing any immediate indication of the persons posting history, karma etc. will be missed by me as well.

edit 2, edit 3, edit 4, edit 5, edit 6, edit 7

edit
There appears to be a 5 minute grace period, during which you can edit a post without it being marked as such.

edit+
However, if another post is made in the thread, that grace period appears to expire immediately.

That was how you could tell if they were a brand new poster…
OR
If a couple of posts only, you could check if they had been cross posting.

PS, Slowly getting the hang of the new system…

I was one of the users that was asked to test (indeed a short time frame of a few days). And I was one of the users that could not login to do actual testing, even though @alranel alranel tried to solve it (I guess I missed the deadline that a “forgot password” has).

Anyway, is there a “quote” button? Or how does one quote? BB tags?

Trying to quote

(Do you like the new forum? - #14 by sterretje)

I was one of the users that was asked to test (indeed a short time frame of a few days). And I was one of the users that could not login to do actual testing, even though @alranel alranel tried to solve it (I guess I missed the deadline that a “forgot password” has).

I saw, incidentally, that you were typing this response even before you submitted it.
That could be useful instead of seeing the “yellow card” as before.

Highlight what you want then open a reply.

OR

Or if it doesn’t , then copy to your post, highlight and select “BlockPost” the ‘’ symbol.

1 Like

OK, highlighting and clicking quote works. Thanks Tom

// PS
You got a heart :wink:

OR

Highlight the required text and click the <"> button which appears next to it.

Quoting is OK - not a problem. However, tell me how to insert some code. The </> button does not behave as before. It seems I need to paste, then highlight and then only press the </> button.

EDIT: If clicking </> first and then pasting only includes the first line.

Willem

don’t like it, its visually cluttered full of dinky icon/avatars thingies of no real value.

5 Likes