Does Arduino replace the use of IC's ?

Hello,

I’m new to all this and have some questions as I cant find the answer online. I Apologize for the ignorance.

1. Does the Arduino replace the need for IC’s in a circuit? meaning if you build a project of some kind without the use of Arduino do you end of using more IC’s to complete a project because the Arduino does what a an Extra IC might do?

2 I used to play around with those project kit labs 150 in 1 or the 300 in one. How is this different compared to those lab kits.

3 can you really build anything you really want with Arduino so as long as you have a schematic or a program for it ?

4 I bought this from Amazon Elegoo Mega 2560 Project The Most Complete Ultimate Starter Kit w/ TUTORIAL for Arduino Mega2560 UNO Nano also the Elegoo 37-in-1 Sensor Module Kit for Arduino UNO R3, MEGA

I am surprised there aren’t much IC’s with any of the kits. This is why I was asking question # 1.

1. Yes, sometimes, maybe, it depends.

2. Those kits did not have any software programmable parts or require a pc/laptop to run the development environment. Also those kits are toys, albeit educational ones. Arduino can also be educational, but you can also build some seriously useful projects with it.

3. No, you could not build a nuclear reactor or an interstellar space vehicle for example.

4. What is your question?

My answers:

1. Sometimes an Arduino replaces the need for ICs. Sometimes not. Sometimes you have to add ICs to an Arduino to make things that work correctly.

2. Those kits provide a lot of instructions and do not require any programming. There is much information available for Arduinos but you may have to go find it yourself. Programming is required.

3. Probably not. Example: I really want an F-35 fighter jet. I do not think that an Arduino is going to cut it.

4. OK.

(1,4): Yes, in general microcontrollers have replaced the need for a lot of the small “glue logic” ICs that we used to build electronic circuits out of. But your kits probably have an IC or two on most of the boards; but the ICs are more complex than they used to be as well, so a “pressure sensor” board probably has a single IC that does the pressure sensing, A2D conversion, interfacing to an I2C communications bus, and all of the glue needed to connect them together. (probably, it has internal circuitry that looks a lot like a microcontroller, except it’s not re-programmable, and not “exposed” as such.)

1. the 100-in-1 kits “exposed” much more primitive components. Single resistors, capacitors, transistors. The single microcontroller chip on an Arduino contains on the order of a million such components…

2. There are things than an Arduino cannot do, in any practical sense. The one that comes up most frequently is image processing; people think that since their desktop PC can do HD video chat with a movie playing in the background, that perhaps their tiny Arduino could at least handle low-res (320x240) images at perhaps 1 per second. It can’t. Your desktop PC is literally millions of times more complex and powerful than an Arduino.

You would probably need hundreds if not thousands of integrated circuits to replace 1 Arduino. The space and power requirements would be enormous. And you probably would not have the versatility as you do with the Arduino. I remember my first computer that I built. An 8080 S100. The main processor board was approximately 8" x 5". It was packed with integrated circuit. It had a total of 1K RAM and 1K ROM. it ran at a whopping 1 MHz. and it required a +5V 1A +12V 1A and -12V 1A regulator. I also had to memory cards, one 8K and one 16 K, A front panel control card and a video card. Each card was packed with integrated circuits.

The Arduino is a good starting point for all other applications. But it will not do everything. Other than blinking a LED it requires supporting circuits. It's limited by the clock speed, memory and the available I/O pins.

In the past everything used to be analog. Even digital signals used analog components. In today's electronics, analog is emulated through digital signals. If you buy a radio, TV, most any electronic device chances are it uses a digital processor to receive the signal. Even if that signal is analog in nature. Telephones, multimeters, oscilloscopes, even the uninterruptible power supply on your computer uses a digital processor to generate the AC amplitude and frequency. the analog circuit is not dead, but it is definitely being replaced by the digital circuit.

Thanks for all the input guys. Cleared up a lot of the questions I had.

So if I wanted to say build say a MicroAmp using the Arduino board example of project in the picture

I would still need the IC 4558 to complete the project correct

http://s324.photobucket.com/user/joe2004_2008/media/amp_zpsevrzlkpe.jpg.html

Thank you again..

That is an analog circuit. It's output is from 0 V to 1V peak to peak, or what ever the maximum voltage of the circuit is, Both positive and negative voltage can be applied. the Arduino is a digital circuit. It produces logic level voltages. For instance 0V, 5V or 0V, 3.3V. Nothing in between. It can emulate varying voltages through PWM. But it cannot amplify a voltage in that manner. nor can it work with negative voltages without special circuitry. A processor can control an audio amplifier, it cannot replace one.

The Arduino can switch pins digitally between 0V and e.g. 5V, based on lots of criteria (input pins, both analog and digital and timers mostly) and rules (programs). You can use that to e.g. create an SPI bus (the ATMEGA has hardware support for that, which makes it faster and easier to use than if you had to program it), or to light a small LED. That is basically it. Doesn't sound like much if you phrase it like that, but it can do a lot. It certainly saves a lot of stuff like NAND-Gate-ICs and that sort of stuff. It could also save you passives, e.g. by replacing a 555 timer circuit with a single Arduino outputing PWM or running a timer.

It does not replace analog circuits like amplifiers. It does not replace high precision IC like thermocouple ADCs ...

It also lets you make arbitrary decisions. If you build a complex logic circuit out of logic chips and then want to change the logic, it takes a whole re-design. With the arduino you just flash a new program.

vaj4088: I don't think you want an F-35. You would be much better off with an F/A-18 or F-16. They work.