Ds1307 with lir2032 battery

Hello guys, I've been recently introduced to the Arduino/electronics world and have been trying to make some small projects to learn, this means I'm yet to understand a lot of things so if I ask something stupid don't mind it :slight_smile:

I bought this ds1307 module

The product details says the battery type Is lir2032 but I'm having a problem finding lir2032 anywhere, I could only find them online and they're too expensive because of shipping which is normally double the price of the battery.
Could this be replaced by a cr2032 battery?
Or could that cause any harm to the module or battery?

is a rechargable Li-Ion button cell

is an one way Alkaline button cell.

AND no, it is not programming question

1 Like

There may be a link to take out if using a non rechargeable battery .
If you are just playing about at the moment , you can run it without a battery , but it will lose the time when switched off .

When you buy your next one the DS 3231 is more accurate and works with the same code /library

2032 is the battery size the letters in front define the type and chemistry. Probably any 2032 battery would work. Just check the voltage with your volt meter. It should be about 3.2 if my memory is correct. The battery package will tell you.

No, not without as @hammy suggests either a modification the module provides for, like a jumper or circuit path to cut. Or…

… a mod like applied to many of these RTC devices where the built in charger circuit is removed or disabled.

I could not find a schematic of the exact module you have in the time allowed. But it may have problems such as are addressed in this link, and the solution may be the same:

Do not use a non-rechargeable battery with a circuit designed to use and maintain the chage of a chargeable cell.

a7

Oops, my mistake, I created this on my phone and probably picked the wrong category, I meant to choose generall electronics which is below programing question

I think desoldering is completely out of the question as I'm not capable of doing so.
On the example you provided there's only 1 diode and 1 resistor on that part of the module but mine looks like this:

The second option to cut the track seems a bit more viable but I'm unsure what track exactly I should cut, could you, based on this image, tell me which one should it be?

Cut where the red line is

Regards

Thanks for the quick response, I checked the post provided by DaveX and it redirected me to a different post where I found this:

In this case he cuts 2 tracks and removes R6 (at least that's what I think he means by the green line in R6)

Should I do it that way or simply cutting where you marked would be enough?

It is enough to cut where I have marked you since it is the voltage input.
The rest is unnecessary because that part of the battery charging circuit is already deactivated when power is cut off.

PS: Reading the article in the link I understand the meaning of the other cut. They are to avoid draining current from the battery through the divider formed by R6 and R4. You can also cut at the second red mark and short R6.

That leaves an odd voltage divider intact. Follow the links from @DaveX 's #8, soon you get to the full explanation and solution.

Removing SM components is fairly easy if you don't need to worry about destroying them.

a7

And what did I say?

:grimacing:

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.