Electrostatics?

Hi,

my Diecimilia Arduino came in a plastik bag with electrostatics warning labels. I wonder:

How sensible is the board for electrostatic?

I guess everybody is doing experiments with it without beeing grounded(word?) and without housing for the board?

Carsten

If you are careful about static electricity, you can handle the board directly. If you are just sitting down to work with it, ground yourself to reduce your static charge. I usually touch the metal-shelled USB connector housing next, to get the board and myself to about the same potential. You can install a static dissipative work surface and use a wrist strap if you want the insurance. It’s a good subject to google - you’ll find a lot of advice on the web.

I've taught at least a hundred students with these.. they carry them around in their pockets, embed them in static-generating fabric etc. Ive yet to see someone fry one from static. In fact, I can only remember one or two that were actually damaged, usually by applying 12V to somewhere it shouldn't be.

D

Daniel,

your students need an off road Arduino. :)

Calli,

you don't need to get worried about static. But you can protect your board with bumpers, like Ladyada did: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1187813569

It's useful.

ESD can kill a part outright, or it can reduce the operational life of the part. Some parts/technologies are more sensitive than others (I've killed a few 2n7000 transistors in one particular device), and some parts that are made as an external interface (e.g. MAX232 rs232 transceiver) have ESD protection built in. I'm guessing the Atmel falls between these two extremes.

I figure I am more likely to fry my Arduino by hooking it up wrong than to kill it with ESD. YMMV.

-j

Thanks! ::)

Carsten