Errors in downloaded program

I am trying to learn programing for the arduino and would like to be able to find answers on my own but have spent far too much time without finding the needed resources. I downloaded the second code lesson “8 LED fun” and when I verify it I get some error messages. I just can’t figure out from the message what/where the error is to fix it. The following is an example:
When I verify this program I get a number of error messages. the first is as follows:

sketch_may31c:187: error: stray ‘\342’ in program
for(int i = 3; i >= 0; i–){

Line 187 in program reads: for(int i = 3; i >= 0; i–){

I can’t figure what is wrong in order to fix it. Other error messages in that section are similar. Where is the "stray ‘/342’ to be corrected?

sorry if this is covered elsewhere but I couldn’t find it.

for(int i = 3; i >= 0; i-){

That line SHOULD have i-- at the end. The printer mark shown and a real minus sign are not the same thing. Use real minus signs (2 of them).

I am pleased with myself as I have found the answers on my own. Apparently the download used something other than ASCII so deleting all of the offending lines and typing them in myself seems to have fixed the problems. I am sure I will have other questions for the forum as this is only my first try using the arduino and am just learning. I appreciate the rapid response I received!

goddess:
I am pleased with myself as I have found the answers on my own.

That can be very satisfying.

I presume you realize that the advice given by @PaulS is essentially the same as what you found out - yours being the more general conclusion.

...R