ESP8266 LED Safety Light

What hardware is needed for a led strobe light that is suited for outdoor sports / walking?

Are G4-5050-6SMD leds fast enough for a strobe?
Or are there more suitable leds?

What capacitors are needed?

Speed of the LEDs is not a concern, LEDs can turn on and off essentially instantly.

Whether you can get decent output from the ESP8266, that I'm not sure of - because it has to keep servicing the WiFi-related stuff, and it doesn't have hardware PWM that could generate the output without the microcontroller running interrupts to toggle the pin, you might not be able to get output stable enough to see the effects that one would normally use a strobe light for (ie, rotating objects seeming to be stationary)

Do you mean, that the ESP8266 isn’t a suited microcontroller for such a led flash / strobe
light like this?

What Arduino IDE compatible microcontroller would be most suitable for such a task?

The idea is to keep it as simple as possible, without the need of many additional
electronic components.

nuon:
What Arduino IDE compatible microcontroller would be most suitable for such a task?

No microcontroller is suitable for this, it would be a waste of even the most basic microcontroller, let alone a 32-bit 80MHz WiFi enabled one. Just use a 555 timer. Probably need a driver transistor also.

Probably, but if you want to adjust the brightness or the frequency from your mobile phone,
a ESP8266 could be useful.

This describes how to use
a power led with a Arduino.

But there are still some questions:

Would a 8 x AA battery box be enough to power the ESP8266 and a 10W LED?
How to connect the LED with the power supply and the GPIOs of the ESP8266.
Can all chip leds be controlled directly by a ESP8266?

What hardware is needed for a led strobe light that is suited for outdoor sports / walking?

$14.97 for 2, in a nice, neat ready made package. Why are you even bothering?

I put a TFMini, a set of LED's (ALITOVE 100pcs WS2812B Addressable 5050 Smart RGB LED Pixel Light on Black Heat Sink PCB Board 5V DC Compatible with Arduino, Raspberry Pi - - Amazon.com and a ESP32 together to make a device that detects how far away a car is from my wife's bike. Depending on the distance the car is from the rear of my wife's bike the LED's will change from white, to green, to green, to yellow, to red.

The ESP8266 wifi can be turned off.

nuon:
Do you mean, that the ESP8266 isn't a suited microcontroller for such a led flash / strobe
light like this?

The idea is to keep it as simple as possible, without the need of many additional
electronic components.

Oh, you just want to flash it to make it more visible? Esp is fine for that.

When you said strobe, I thought you meant flashing at a controlled frequency for strobe effects, like how if you have a spinning object with a mark on it, and rotation rate matches flashing rate, the object appears to not be moving. That requires a stable variable frequency pwm output; pretty much any microcontroller that isn't an ESP can do that (the esp8266 is weird in that it doesnt have hardware output compare - and, because of the wifi stuff, radio-related tasks have to happen frequently. Not sure what the deal is on esp32)

But if you just want it to flash to attract attention, the esp is fine.

Yes, the original idea was a safety light, but another use could be to add it to a drone.

If you use it as safety light, you can adapt the brightness to the current situation (less
brightness to avoid blinding other people or more brightness in poor visibility conditions like fog).

I have also found some other videos of how to control a power led with a ESP8266.
Therefore I think this topics can be marked as solved.