ESP8266 library

Hello guys,

I'm trying to work with my new ESP8266 wifi-module but I can't find a 'good' library or the library that I see in some tutorials. Does anyone have a good library for this module that they can give me a link to? Thanks!

The Arduino-ESP8266 core will allow you to program the ESP using the Arduino IDE. The site includes installation instructions. The core files include example code and many libraries to get you started. Many Arduino libraries also work with the ESP if you are using the Arduino IDE to program the ESP.

groundfungus: The Arduino-ESP8266 core will allow you to program the ESP using the Arduino IDE. The site includes installation instructions. The core files include example code and many libraries to get you started. Many Arduino libraries also work with the ESP if you are using the Arduino IDE to program the ESP.

Thanks I installed it.. but in the folder there are like 20 librariers, which one do I have to use? All of them??

Do I just have to copy paste them from that folder into the original library folder?

Did you follow the instructions on that site to install the core? The core installation should put the ESP specific libraries in a folder for them (not the IDE libraries folder). Mine are in C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\2.0.0\libraries. This on a Win10 machine running IDE ver 1.6.7.

You Include the libraries that you need, into your sketch, depending on the hardware you connect and the functions that your ESP must perform. You might want to look into writing some basic Arduino sketches to get used to the language. Most any basic tutorial that is written for an Arduino will apply to the ESP.

I am facing difficulty in getting the esp8266 with arduino uno. I tried to do the steps in http://www.instructables.com/id/Cheap-Arduino-WiFi-Shield-With-ESP8266/ , but it didn't work. Kindly assist in getting the setting right for the wifi board.

I think you should try the PlatformIO IDE instead :)

http://platformio.org/get-started

Sorry, your terminology confused me. You want to be able to control the ESP using an Arduino by sending AT commands?

What you are looking for is the AT firmware. Google "esp8266 at firmware" to find lots of information on uploading the firmware. You can't use the Arduino core and the AT firmware at the same time. One or the other.

I don't use and have not used the AT firmware so can't be of much help if that is the way you want to go.

Thanks I got the libraries working! Wiring is still a problem I can't find out, like 80% of the video's uses a level shifter or something which I don't have, because the ESP is working with 3.3 volt. And another video is just using it with not even a single resistor or something..

I have accidentally briefly connected a 5V TX to the ESP RX and it didn't seem to hurt anything, but I would never run it like that. The voltage divider like in the Instructable is the probably simplest way to connect the two safely. Believe the 80%.

I mostly use the ESP modules stand alone programmed with the Arduino IDE. If I need the functions of an Arduino (ADC, 5V peripherals) I use the Arduino as a I2C slave to the ESP.

groundfungus: I have accidentally briefly connected a 5V TX to the ESP RX and it didn't seem to hurt anything, but I would never run it like that. The voltage divider like in the Instructable is the probably simplest way to connect the two safely. Believe the 80%.

I don't have a voltage divider or something, do I really need one to get the ESP working...

You don't have two resistors?

mixographer: You don't have two resistors?

Yes I have a lot resistors

The resistors don't have to be the exact values as long as the RATIO is right and the total series resistance is not too low (greater than1K).

groundfungus: The resistors don't have to be the exact values as long as the RATIO is right and the total series resistance is not too low (greater than1K).

Will resistors work? You sure? So should I take 2k resistors then, and for which pins??

I tried with the resistor divider for getting 3.3V . Still does not work for me. AT command in the serial monitor does not give any response. Tried the baud rates 9600 and 115200

Any debug ideas?

Which ESP8266 module are you using? Do you have a 3.3V USB to TTL serial adapter (FTDI)? Do you KNOW which frimware is installed on the ESP? How is the ESP itself wired?

I can't begin to help until I know what you have.

I just found this in another thread that may help.

I have the ESP8266-01, I don't have a 3.3V USB to TTL serial adapter, and I do not know the firmware version, since I don't know how to properly wire it without damaging it..