Extreme Newbie asking about playing around with MIDI

Hi everyone,

I am Jack from Malaysia and really need input about a project I am about to embark. Before I start, please allow me to inform you that my team and I are all from the mechanical engineering and only I have some knowledge in writing codes in C.
Here is the scenario.
We want to build a device that can accept MIDI as inputs, and output the sequences in physical movements, LED blinking or whatsoever as long as it is something cool!

As you could imagine, we have zero knowledge on controllers stuff. I really need advice about its feasibility on Arduino (which I think is possible!) and also a rough idea on how to achieve it.
I also need a lot of tutorials and information on how everything works (I have no basics!) I tried google but I can't seem to get something where I can develop my understanding on. I am here to learn, please let me know of any noteworthy readings that can help an extreme newbie like me to pick up the knowledge.

I am not sure if it is too far-fetched, but I will really love to see any Android integration to it, like having an Android app to control which MIDI sequences as inputs, adjusting the tempo, pitches etc. (of course, I believe it will be hooked to the Arduino board in some way, USB for instance)

Please spare me your advice. I want this to succeed!! Thanks a lot for the long read even if you don't feel to comment!!

For MIDI questions and answers you better check the audio section.

Here is the scenario.
We want to build a device that can accept MIDI as inputs, and output the sequences in physical movements, LED blinking or whatsoever as long as it is something cool!

There is a lot of cool stuff build with Arduino, and yes what you want can be build (vague requirements vage answer).

Check the MIDI shields on - http://shieldlist.org -

Succes

Thanks for the link. Okay, I am really clueless about all those jargons. Can anyone please direct me to a good place to start reading about all these controllers stuff? I might be flamed, but really, I am here to read and learn and achieve something cool!

Overall, handling MIDI with the arduino is fairly easy, as is interfacing with "physical movements". What you need to do first is get a fairly concrete idea of what exactly you want it to do.. It's tough to give direction based on " LED blinking or whatsoever as long as it is something cool!"

Tell us the cool things you want it to do and we'll get you on the right track :slight_smile: