Feasible? Barcode door opener with member list

Hello Guys,

I was just wondering if the project below would be doable with Arduino or not...

• USB barcode scanner
  • contact that triggers door opener (just need TTL/relay contact to trigger external relay that will actually unlock the door)
  • webbrowser UI to manage a list of approved barcode numbers that will open the door

Definitely, as long as you use a good bar-code scanner.
Such a scanner can output over Serial or sometimes blue-tooth.
Arduino can get the bar-code and compare it with a list in EEPROM or better from an SD card.

if there is a match - open sesame

With an ethernet shield and some code you could edit the list on the SD card, nothing fancy

so in short very doable and the project can be split up in several steps:

1. learn to open the door
  2. compare a number with a number in a file on SD card
  3. read that number from barcode-scanner
  4. add the webUI to edit the file on disk

Dankje Rob :wink:

I'll see what parts I need and delve into the matter.

USB barcode scanner is a poor choice. A plain serial one will be much easier to interface with.

With a Web UI, you need some kind of network connectivity, either wired or wireless.

only one reply every 10 minutes... is this forum for real?

That's to prevent spammers taking over until there is a better mechanism in place, sorry :frowning:

Triodes:

Be careful. They are working on a way to make it an hour for anyone who bitches about it.

Triodes:

Are you for real?

Of course, you realise that barcodes are easily duplicated using a photocopier. Or if you read the number (if it has one), the Web will print you a new copy.

Some USB barcode readers can also be used as serial devices. I posted a link in this other thread to more information about converting a USB reader to a TTL device.