RFID Lock

Hello everyone,
I am not sure if this is the right place to post my topic, so excuse me if I misplaced it.

I am writing to you to ask for help and guidance about an RFID Project i have to do for my school. The idea is to have an RFID Lock using arduino. The rfid reader will read the tags, then pass the code from the tag to the arduino, and the arduino will pass it to a computer, where we will have a database with the allowed tag codes. Then the program on the pc will check the scanned code, and if it is allowed it will return a signal to the arduino, and the arduino will unlock the door.

Now the troubles that I am having is, if this is actually the way it should be done. Do you think this construction will do the job? And also I am having troubles with how to make the arduino to pass a signal to a computer program, and then have the program pass it back to the arduino. All the projects that I found on the internet about RFID, do not have a connection to an online database, so I don't really know how to do that.

I would really appreciate your help and tips on this project, and I am looking forward to them!

Thank you in advance !!!

I created a inventory system which used a bar code scanner to read the bar code, compare it to the inventory database and increment the count on every successful read. If a bar code was scanned where the part wasn't in the inventory database, a message pops up letting you know that no such code exists.

This is similar (but different) to what you want to do. Similar because an input is coming into the computer and comparing it to a database for a match, but different because I don't need to send anything back from the computer. Of course if there's a will, there's a way.

So what kind of database program are you using? How many RFID tags will there be to unlock the door? You can do pretty much do away with the PC if you had a limited amount of RFID tags.

Now the troubles that I am having is, if this is actually the way it should be done.

Yes, this is the way it should be done. One way, anyway.

And also I am having troubles with how to make the arduino to pass a signal to a computer program

The Arduino isn't passing a signal. It is passing data.

Serial.print(theData);

and then have the program pass it back to the arduino.

That depends on the program (primarily the language it is written in).

so I don't really know how to do that.

Break the problem up into manageable pieces.

Get a tag from the RFID reader.
Send that tag to the Serial Monitor.
Type something in the Serial Monitor, and press send.
Make the Arduino read that and "unlock, or not, the door". Turn on or off an LED first.
Then, make it actually unlock the door.

Then, write the PC application that will read the same data that appears in the Serial Monitor, look the tag up in the database, and send the same response you were typing.

Hey, you're done.

Most of what you want to do is in this project:-
http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Hardware/Crazy_People.html
It is better if you get an RFID reader with a Wiegand output as this does not tie up the serial port. If you do get a reader with an RS232 serial connection you have to convert it to TTL and then use either NewSoftware serial or a Mega with extra serial ports.