fingerprint reader car lock

Hi all

having just bought a 15yr old Land Rover as a 2nd car/ general run around, with some issues ie keyfob not working

has anybody thought about adding a fingerprint reader as an alternative to the keyfob to open the doors turn of alarm etc, even start the car from one inside from a different print maybe

i know they are available at a reasonable price on the auction sites £8 to £25 depending on type

so anybody any thoughts or experience on feasibility, suitability of readers, software/hardware

I recall a story where expensive cars (Mercedes?) had finger print locks and the thieves stole the finger as well as the car.

...R

My experiences (some yrs ago) with fingerprint devices are

• recognize many with big error
  • recognize a few more accurate
  • recognition can need multiple attempts especially when fingerprints are "damaged"
  • some devices get hot after some time
  • dirt sensitive (A Landrover is not always clean between Paris and Dakar)

For starting a car fingerprinting would be a big nono as sometime you have emergency starts that just should work first time.

Robin2:
I recall a story where expensive cars (Mercedes?) had finger print locks and the thieves stole the finger as well as the car.

...R

yes i read that too

merc compared to a 15yr old landy -- think my fingers would be safe

and to Robs reply
all valid points which is why i asked on here - probably keep the key option just in case
but surely readers will get better over time so some points will become redundant

thanks for replying

You could make an Arduino wireless device to replace the keyfob. However you would need a small Arduino with a wireless device (e.g. nRF24L01+) in your pocket and another in the Landy.

An Atmega 328 + nRF24 would cost about £6. I managed to get them into an OO Gauge model train.

2016 01 02_DSCF3954_640x480.JPG

…R

Well even a r305 fingerprint module is enough to build one with help of Arduino, the Problem is that sometimes patience is a requirment too.
Though you can still make one. I think in amount of 7 you will have one prepared.